Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Pre-1997 Models

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 05-08-2002, 02:58 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1995 Ford F150
Lightbulb How to RECALIBRATE your SPEEDOMETER

HOW TO RECALIBRATE FORD TRUCK SPEEDOMETERS

To recalibrate your speedometer after changing tire sizes:

Start with 20186, divide by actual tire size in inches. Divide again by 66.66.

Example:
20186 / 34.5 = 585.10

585.10 / 66.66 = 8.78

Thus for 34.5" tires, the calibration number is 878.

To set the calibration, ground the single wire connector under the glove box (often Lt. Blue wire w/ a Yellow tracer, but you might want to check a manual for specifics), hold in Reset button on trip meter and turn ignition to ON. After the speedometer needle cycles from zero to top speed and back to zero, press Reset button again. You should now see the calibration # that you currently have. From here, use Select to get proper calibration, and press Reset to store.

When you press Select, the number only goes down, but don't worry if you need a higher number. After you reach a certain number (400 or 500 I believe), it will start back at the highest number the speedo can be calibrated with (often 1100), and go down again.

Notes:

Larger tires will require a smaller calibration number.

If your new calibration number needs to be larger than the highest number allowed, just go with the highest number allowed.

If you shut your ignition switch OFF before you press Reset to store the new calibration number, the number will remain what it was before you started.

With stock 235-75 15's, the calibration number should be about 1044, but you may find that it's been set at 972 from the factory. This means that your odometer has more miles on it than you have truthfully traveled.

WARNING:
You can only change the calibration number 6 times without replacing the module.

I have no idea what years this applies to, but it has been suggested that if you have a digital odometer, it applies to you. The easiest way to see is to hold the Reset button down while you turn the ignition switch to the ON position. If the speedometer needle cycles, this applies to you.

Take care,
-Chris

My F-150 Gallery

'95 Eddie Bauer F-150 SC SB / 4.9L / 5spd / 3.55 LS / K&N FIPK w/ Ram Air / JET / Crane / Taylor / Comp Cams / Edelbrock RPM / Hurst / Add-A-Leaf / Bilstein / Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 31x10.5R15's / Auto Meter Sport Comp Vac, Volt, Water, Oil & Fuel PSI / K.C. / Optima Yellow / Alpine / Apple / Toshiba / Boston Acoustics / Polk / Bazooka / And more...

Last edited by PKRWUD; 05-08-2002 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1993 ford F150
Send a message via Yahoo to inski21
Thumbs up

Thanks dude.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1992 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to Ford4ever
I did this yesterday on my truck, works great, except my numbers went up when i pressed the button, when it got to 1100 it started back over at 500. It also said i could only reprogram it 3 more times, the previous owner must have screwed with it.

-Jon
Old 05-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1990 Ford F-150
Select button???? Maybe this doesn't apply to me since I have a 1990?

1990 F-150 4x4 XLT Lariat / Short Bed / Regular Cab / Charcoal Gray / Rebuilt 302 V8 / Rebuilt AOD transmission / 4.10 gear ratio with rear LSD / Crane Cams Compucam / K&N FIPK / Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer / Edelbrock Performer truck intake manifold / Gibson shorty headers / March aluminum underdrive pulleys / High flow cat. converter with 3" exhaust / Flowmaster "40 Series" muffler with dual turndowns / Edelbrock Victor Series Water Pump / Casper Throttle Position Sensor Enhancer / MSD 8.5 mm Super Conductor spark plug wires / Champion truck spark plugs / Accel high performance cap & rotor kit / Accel performance ignition coil / Tuff Country 4" suspension lift with extended radius arms / Dunlop 35x12.50" Mud Rover tires / Ultra 15x10" aluminum rims / Smittybilt chrome grill guard / KC driving-fog lights mounted on grill guard / Powermaster 140 amp alternator / Diamond-plated bed rail caps / Alpine CDA9813 cd player / Alpine MRV-F307 4 channel amplifier / Infiniti CS605 6.5" speakers, tweeters in doors / MTX 421D mono-block amplifier / 2 Infiniti 1030w 10" subwoofers / Ford trailer hitch cover / And a few other knick knacks....

Next modification: 4.56 gears with a new LSD.

A few more pics of my truck

Old 05-11-2002, 04:44 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1995 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally posted by TF
Select button???? Maybe this doesn't apply to me since I have a 1990?
What??? You don't have one??? I thought all F-150's came with a button that allows you to choose between blondes, brunettes, or redheads! You poor guy!

This procedure requires a digital odometer with a trip meter. The Select button is what allows you to switch the display between total miles driven and trip miles driven normally, and permits you to see the speedometer calibration code when this procedure is followed.

Take care,
-Chris

My F-150 Gallery

'95 Eddie Bauer F-150 SC SB / 4.9L / 5spd / 3.55 LS / K&N FIPK w/ Ram Air / JET / Crane / Taylor / Comp Cams / Edelbrock RPM / Hurst / Add-A-Leaf / Bilstein / Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 31x10.5R15's / Auto Meter Sport Comp Vac, Volt, Water, Oil & Fuel PSI / K.C. / Optima Yellow / Alpine / Apple / Toshiba / Boston Acoustics / Polk / Bazooka / And more...
Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

My odometer removes miles after I shut the truck down and start it again. Could it be that someone attempted this and botched it up? Or could it be that it has had flash#7 applied to it.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford4ever View Post
I did this yesterday on my truck, works great, except my numbers went up when i pressed the button, when it got to 1100 it started back over at 500. It also said i could only reprogram it 3 more times, the previous owner must have screwed with it.

-Jon
How did it tell you that? Did it scroll a message accross the odometer?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 11 FULLsize ole' Ford rigs
Send a message via AIM to adrianspeeder Send a message via MSN to adrianspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to adrianspeeder
How exactly does it "remove miles"?

Adrianspeeder
Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 AM
1983 Ford Bronco

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
This caption contains the complete procedure & all relevant info:

. . .
Old 07-31-2011, 06:56 AM
2003 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F-150
Excellent instructions, but...

I haven't changed tire size, but rather I changed the rear end ratio for towing a travel trailer. I went from the stock 3.08 to a 3.55 ratio - so what should my "magic number" go to? I'm not sure how to manipulate the math you give to figure this out.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 PM
1983 Ford Bronco

If you read that caption, it clearly says that RAR has nothing to do with the PSOM calibration.

. . .
Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 PM
2001 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
What is the single wire connector?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
1983 Ford Bronco

The PSOM Programming Enable connector, as that caption explains.

. . .
Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 PM