Pre-1997 Models

How to RECALIBRATE your SPEEDOMETER

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for your response.
I guess I'll take it to the dealer after I get my new wheels.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:54 PM
Hey guys I re-calibrated my speedometer using the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator and it was simple and easy. I found a quick and accurate method without any trial and error with your tire size to enter in the module.

This may not apply to older vehicles

1. Do this when your truck is not loaded down and is somewhat level. Make sure your tire pressure is what you like to run it at.
2. Measure all 4 tire heights with a tape measure to 1/4" then take your average number to 1/4". This is the tire height you enter in during set up.
3. Test it out using GPS when your done.

I think for the price Hypertech really serves dual purpose by leaving it in the truck and being able to pull a code if something on the dashboard lights up.

Check out my YouTube Channel to watch my video on how to use this calibrating method and other F150 videos.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlvyLBMv-HXr5VACDEU91g

Old 03-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I got mine done at the dealer for a lot less than that when I got my 4.10's put in.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:25 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You cannot use the Hypertech on trucks older than 1999.

This thread is specifically for pre-1997 trucks that use a PSOM. Posting anything else is hijacking the thread.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:07 AM
Speedo calibration check

Originally Posted by PKRWUD
HOW TO RECALIBRATE FORD TRUCK SPEEDOMETERS

To recalibrate your speedometer after changing tire sizes:

Start with 20186, divide by actual tire size in inches. Divide again by 66.66.

Example:
20186 / 34.5 = 585.10

585.10 / 66.66 = 8.78

Thus for 34.5" tires, the calibration number is 878.

To set the calibration, ground the single wire connector under the glove box (often Lt. Blue wire w/ a Yellow tracer, but you might want to check a manual for specifics), hold in Reset button on trip meter and turn ignition to ON. After the speedometer needle cycles from zero to top speed and back to zero, press Reset button again. You should now see the calibration # that you currently have. From here, use Select to get proper calibration, and press Reset to store.

When you press Select, the number only goes down, but don't worry if you need a higher number. After you reach a certain number (400 or 500 I believe), it will start back at the highest number the speedo can be calibrated with (often 1100), and go down again.

Notes:

Larger tires will require a smaller calibration number.

If your new calibration number needs to be larger than the highest number allowed, just go with the highest number allowed.

If you shut your ignition switch OFF before you press Reset to store the new calibration number, the number will remain what it was before you started.

With stock 235-75 15's, the calibration number should be about 1044, but you may find that it's been set at 972 from the factory. This means that your odometer has more miles on it than you have truthfully traveled.

WARNING:
You can only change the calibration number 6 times without replacing the module.

I have no idea what years this applies to, but it has been suggested that if you have a digital odometer, it applies to you. The easiest way to see is to hold the Reset button down while you turn the ignition switch to the ON position. If the speedometer needle cycles, this applies to you.

Take care,
-Chris
Hey Chris,
Just curious how can I just check the calibration number? Also can I flash or reset pcm back to factory to accomplish this?

Old 04-02-2018, 03:09 PM
glc
You have an issue that needs to be fixed, reference the thread you started. As mentioned in post #15, Chris passed away a few years ago. A PSOM calibration will not fix your problem.

Old 06-12-2022, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by PKRWUD
HOW TO RECALIBRATE FORD TRUCK SPEEDOMETERS

To recalibrate your speedometer after changing tire sizes:

Start with 20186, divide by actual tire size in inches. Divide again by 66.66.

Example:
20186 / 34.5 = 585.10

585.10 / 66.66 = 8.78

Thus for 34.5" tires, the calibration number is 878.

To set the calibration, ground the single wire connector under the glove box (often Lt. Blue wire w/ a Yellow tracer, but you might want to check a manual for specifics), hold in Reset button on trip meter and turn ignition to ON. After the speedometer needle cycles from zero to top speed and back to zero, press Reset button again. You should now see the calibration # that you currently have. From here, use Select to get proper calibration, and press Reset to store.

When you press Select, the number only goes down, but don't worry if you need a higher number. After you reach a certain number (400 or 500 I believe), it will start back at the highest number the speedo can be calibrated with (often 1100), and go down again.

Notes:

Larger tires will require a smaller calibration number.

If your new calibration number needs to be larger than the highest number allowed, just go with the highest number allowed.

If you shut your ignition switch OFF before you press Reset to store the new calibration number, the number will remain what it was before you started.

With stock 235-75 15's, the calibration number should be about 1044, but you may find that it's been set at 972 from the factory. This means that your odometer has more miles on it than you have truthfully traveled.

WARNING:
You can only change the calibration number 6 times without replacing the module.

I have no idea what years this applies to, but it has been suggested that if you have a digital odometer, it applies to you. The easiest way to see is to hold the Reset button down while you turn the ignition switch to the ON position. If the speedometer needle cycles, this applies to you.

Take care,
-Chris
This will not work for a 2005 F150 STX. I was unable to find the wire to ground and my cluster has only one button.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:51 PM
glc
Originally Posted by chzuck
This will not work for a 2005 F150 STX. I was unable to find the wire to ground and my cluster has only one button.
Of course not.. Refer to post #15 and several other posts in this thread, this procedure only applies to 1996 and earlier trucks. This is the pre-1997 forum. Your issue has been addressed in the thread you started in the 2004-2008 forum, and I have posted since your last post in that thread, you have a compatible adapter for Forscan.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-12-2022, 09:39 PM
Sorry, I should have looked closer at the forum I was in.

Quick Reply: How to RECALIBRATE your SPEEDOMETER