Pre-1997 Models

problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems

one of my problems with the 89 is i am getting grase on the axle and by the back passenger side wheel. i believe it is a seal. how do i go about fixing this or is there anywhere i can get literature on this.

curt

Old 04-06-2002, 07:10 PM
ok, found a old chiltons manual i had for the truck. after taking everything off, i noticed that i have some excessive wear on my axle. the seal looked to be good but i replaced it anyway. right where the bearings are i have some serious wear on the axle. now i have to get an axle from a junkyard. called around and one place said he will only sell the whole rear. the price was 350. is that good? never ran into a situation like this before so.

the color of the gear oil looked like chocalate milk. is that normal?

might put in a locker now that i am working on the rear.

any info is appreciated.

curt

Old 04-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Chocolate milk means you have water getting in thru the seals. $80 is a good price for a used axle, $350 is a fair price for entire assembly-which you won't need-but may consider for back-up.

I'd look around for just the axle(s) you need, and change your other side seal and bearing and/or axle if needed. As axles get old they do wear like you've described. And for gods sakes, change your chocolate milk..I mean gear oil!

Old 04-06-2002, 08:11 PM
well i have to wait for now, i have to try to get an axle. i really don't want the hole rear unless it is going to be better gears. i have 3.55 i think now, i have to check it.

i will put in new gear oil when i get the axle. right now it is sitiing in my dway waiting for an axle. it looked pretty sealed up, maybe it was coming in from the wear on the axle, i was letting grease out all over on that side. what do u think?

thanks for the choco info.

curt

Old 04-06-2002, 08:30 PM
If you put it up on jack stands, giggle the tire up and down, and if you can hear it clunk as it goes up and down you know the bearing and/or axle is worn. If that is worn then the seal is probably worn also. Some clunk more than others, expirience is the only way to determine which ones are really bad. (visions of beating a 77 chevy axle out w/ long pipe from opposite side runs thru my head).

The grease (gear oil) sprayin everywhere definately means the seal was useless.
If you get a whole rear assembly, make sure it's gears match the front axle if 4wd.

Sometimes rear brake cylinders leak in same area, check it out.

Old 04-06-2002, 08:58 PM
had it on jacks stands, changed the seal, the axle is worn bad. it never clunked or made noise. it just was spraying grease. i need to replace the axle. you can't miss the excessive wear where the bearing sits to the axle. i will replace the bearing when i get an axle.

curt

Old 04-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Re; 89
Don't leave your truck when you go wheelin out west(if it doesn't make it). Just rent a u-haul and car dolley and tow it home. I'll come and get it when you come back to NY. I'd love to have that 89 351/c6 lifted combo. Even as a "project truck". I'd even give you the $$+ for the U-haul rental.

Old 04-06-2002, 09:25 PM
well i let ya know, when i am there i will have my laptop and i will email you guys or post what happens.

curt

Old 04-06-2002, 09:41 PM
Cool.
As far as towing it home, thats up to you. I don't want to cramp your plans, plus it might better if I just find something around here. But I'd be interested if you did.

The wheelin updates would be great.

Old 04-07-2002, 11:26 AM
that's cool, i will give you updates as they happen. towing it is no problem. i will let ya know

curt

Quick Reply: problems