Pre-1997 Models

92-96 300 inline 6 cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 92-96 300 inline 6 cyl.

What's the hp and torque rating of those motors? Gas mileage? I'm thinking about getting one in a 4x4. But I've very iffy about it because the smallest motor I've owned is the 4.6l V8. All I've had are V8s. Can anyone tell me alot about these motors especially behind a 4x4? Is there another site around where I can find out more about them? Thanks.

Old 11-08-2001, 07:27 AM
Officially, 150hp@3400rpm & 260ft.lbs@2000rpm. But I feel the numbers are deceptive. I own a '95 2wd supercab with a 4.9L (300ci) and a 5 speed. I have it loaded down with 3 toolboxes, and it weighs 6000 pounds the way it sits. With several minor bolt on mods, I can stay even with my buddies 2000 4.6 supercab (with nothing in the bed), and I can beat 5.0 trucks. i can also transport heavy loads up long grades with no trouble at all. oddly enough, I was talking with a neighbor of mine just yesterday about Ford trucks. He has 3, but told me yesterday the one that he really wanted got away from him: a 1988 4.9L Bronco 4x4. His circle of friends are all "mountian men" who enjoy nothing more than loading up their trucks with ice chests and rifles, and going as far off road as possible. He says it's a well known fact among Ford 4x4 drivers that the 4.9 was quite possibly the best engine Ford ever made. my truck has a 5 speed, which greatly reduces it's towing capacity, yet I still hang with the new trucks. A 4x4 with a 4.9 and a C4 would be a killer combination.

My gas mileage averages between 18 and 20 mpg, but I drive my truck hard. I used to own a 521 horsepower, nitrous injected 403 equipped Buick, and I drive my truck like it's got a V8. The only mechanical problem I have had in my 64k miles, was the oil pan gasket. It slipped out 29 days after the warranty expired. It was an easy fix, though. Other than that, it's been the most trouble free engine I've ever owned. I knew nothing at all about the 4.9 before buying my truck, and truthfully was disappointed at the thought of owning an inline 6, but now I feel sorry for the guys with the 5.0's.

I should also mention that I am a mechanic, and I own and operate my own repair business, and since buying my truck, have taken over several local fleet maintenance jobs. The local United Van Lines has 4.9's in about 75% of their cargo vans. The rest either have 460's or 351's. The V8's are the ones that are always breaking down, and requiring much more maint. than the 4.9. The 4.9 is also gear drive, which means a tighter running engine for longer periods of time. The majority of the fleet work I've had to do that involved other than routine maintenance with the 4.9, is replacing the timing gears. It's about an hour and a half job, and so far has been becoming necessary, on average, at 250k to 275k miles.

Bottom line, in my opinion, the 4.9 is perfect for everything from heavy hauling to off-road to highway cruising to speedy acceleration. I absolutely love mine, but for off road, I would recommend a C4 rather than a 5 speed.

I hope this helps answer your questions. BTW, the 4.9 six is 18 cubic inches bigger than your 4.6 V8.

Take care,
-Chris

Last edited by PKRWUD; 11-08-2001 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:42 AM
Cool

Thanks for the reply. I had heard that they are a very reliable motor. I didn't know the hp was that low on them though. The torque isn't too bad though. Why a C4? I guess if you don't drive that much on the highway it would be a good tranny. I do alot of highway driving though so if I didn't get the 5-speed I'd need the automatic with overdrive which I'm assuming they used something like the E4OD. The C4 is a great tranny though. It sure won't be my Lightning but one can't expect that much from a 6 cylinder anyways. I've had an 87 Mustang GT, 90 F150 4x4 w/351W, 96 Mustang GT, and the current 94 SVT Lightning so the 6 banger will be a whole other world if I get it. Thanks for the help. Is there a site online where I could find out some other stuff about these motors? I've also been considering an ext. cab Ranger with a 4.0 but man, you can get a full size truck for the price of a stinkin' Ranger. Oh well something to think about.

Old 11-10-2001, 07:56 AM
I'm a V8 man as well and I thought I'd really regret going with a 4.9L in my 95 F150 but it's really starting to grow on me. There's plenty of power even with 33"s, and after all the stories I've heard about it's reliability I think I may just stick it out rather than swap in a bigger motor. Gas milage isn't all that great though, I get around 16-18. But I guess the 302 and 351 aren't much better. Plus I haven't done a tuneup yet so maybe it's due for one. The only negative thing I can see about the 4.9L is the lack of a V8 rumble out the exhaust.

Old 11-10-2001, 09:05 AM
ls1powr-
Look into an Edelbrock cat-back system. Nice rumble.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 11-10-2001, 10:09 AM
I had an 87 f150 4x4 with the 4.9 FI and a 4spd. I was very impressed with it. It is a very good motor for a 4x4. They are also very reliable and almost bullet proof. I have heard alot of good things about the engine from others also. Mine had a couple hundred thousand very rough miles on it, never had a cover removed.

Old 11-11-2001, 03:07 AM
my truck has a 5 speed, which greatly reduces it's towing capacity
I'm going to assume your truck has the Mazda 5-speed? If so, I can understand.

My truck has the ZF 5-speed, and it has performed flawless. Its towed camp trailers its whole life, ranging from around 5-6,000lbs. In fact, I can count the number of times on one hand that this truck has left town without a trailer behind it (its got about 127,000 miles).

If you end up getting a truck with a 4.9, do not expect to win any drag races. Finding somebody you can spank with your truck will turn out to be a difficult task. Fuel mileage? Not that great, but no worse than most V8's. I usually get around 12 or 13 in town, and about 18 on the highway (I've got 3.55 gears with stock 29" tires). The one thing I dislike the most about the 4.9L is how slow the power builds. Seems kinda sleepy below about 2200 RPM.

What you can expect is an extremely reliable (if treated right, as with all trucks) motor. Like I said, mines almost got 130,000 on it, and all its ever needed was a new water pump about 6 months ago. Its also a very smooth running motor as well. Quite a few times I've let my truck drop down to 500 RPM, and it just chugs along great. I've had my truck in a few 4x4 low-range, 1st gear situations, and it worked great! Expect to embarrass 302's when it comes to pulling heavy loads, also.

I'd like to put a Super Chip in my truck soon, but I'm still sure it will never be as quick as some of today's new trucks.

Old 11-11-2001, 03:13 AM
BTW......

I may sound a little un-educated here, but, a C4 tranny? I've heard of the C6, but never a C4?

Also, its been my understanding that the C6 is quite the "power sponge." I've driven a few 4.9's that were backed by C6's, and they were quite pathetic....my truck would most definately roast them.

Old 11-11-2001, 08:21 AM
There were probably more C4's produced than any other Ford transmission. They are generally considered the C6's little brother.

Yeah, I do have the Mazda 5 speed, but that wasn't the point. Automatic transmissions always have a higher towing capacity than manual transmission vehicles. Check your owners manual.

you should seriously think about buying an FIPK. I installed one in my '95 in such a way that it receives cool air in a direct path from the front end. HUGE difference. I'm not kidding you guys, my truck weighs 6000 with tools, and I can take most 5.0 F150's. my truck is quite peppy, and has better acceleration than my buddies 2000 4.6 F150. My mods are in my sig.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 11-12-2001, 12:43 AM
PKRWUD,

Just curious, is your truck mass air? Just trying to figure out what trucks had it and which ones didn't. I thought all the '95s had it since my '95 5.0 did. Ran into someone with a SD '95 302.

As far as the 4.9 you hit it on the head. Great low end and tough as nails. I always looked at the 4.9 and 5.0 in almost opposite opinions. The 5.0 benefits from mods that help strengthen the low end, but revs just fine stock. The 4.9 has plenty of low end stock, and needs to be built to help it rev to round out the package. To bad Ford never picked on and did it for us!

MO4x4,

Unless you like to rev the crap out of the engine all the time, you should be happy with the 4.9. Much more like driving a detuned 351 than a 4.6 truck. The 4.6 from my experience needs to rev even more than a 5.0 to really get a load going. The 4.9 is almost the exact opposite - real strong low end, but can get a little winded as the revs climb.

Old 11-12-2001, 03:11 AM
Signmaster-
Funny you should ask. My '95 "California" F150 is SD. The emissions label under the hood even identifies it as a "California" truck, and it was built in the late winter, early spring of 1995. With that being said, I am confused by the fact that every service manual and repair book I have seen for it, from factory Ford to Chiltons, says that the '95 4.9L was SD, EXCEPT for California models, which were mass air. I personally have never seen a 4.9 with a MAF. This becomes annoying when ever I try and run diagnostics on it, or try to find a reliable wiring schematic.

FWIW, I know 3 people with 5.0 '95 F150's, and they are all SD as well.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 11-12-2001, 11:14 AM
PKRWUD,

Thanks for the response. I haven't ever seen a mass air 4.9 either but I've heard they do exist. You would think the CA trucks would have it first, some of the CA 5.0 trucks had mass air as early as '93 from what I've seen posted.

Seems there is no reasoning to which ones got it. I have a friend with a '95 and both his and mine are factory mass air.......

Old 11-12-2001, 07:56 PM
...must have something to do with with all those harsh emissions tests they have in Virginia. Oh wait, that's here. Yeah, I can't see a pattern either. It bugs me, though. I've talked to my friend at Ford, and the "official" word is "check your emissions label". Some friend, huh? I mean, I'll still accept his tower passes for the NHRA events and all, but a real friend would find me a better answer!

Take care,
-Chris

Old 11-15-2001, 12:14 PM
Auto and manuals

I wouldn't say Automatics ALWAYS have a higher towing capacity than manuals..... My Uncle in Fremont is a trucker, and I've gotton to drive a lot of rigs just because I'm related to him.. Almost all (easily 95% are manuals) but, I have driven an automatic rig and it was a DOG.....in the REAL truck world, where haulin' makes a livin', manual's are king...

Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 AM
Smile 300 cid inline 6

I drive a 1990 ford f-150. 300 cid inline 6 All stock well except for my dual flow master exauhst and honestly even stock this is one of the best motors b trucks I've driven my truck has out lasted even the 2007 model trucks when it came to driving they seem to break down yet I'm still running and when I've needed to pull something I just atach and go I pulled a full size bronco on 33s I mean big heavy truck I atached a chain to it and pulled it 45 miles up the road no problem the motor is amazing just think its been on the road 20 years and all its ever been in the shop for is oil and filter changes you can't beat it its on 206,000 miles now I believe and I don't se it stopping any time soon I'm actually hoping ill be able to put a classic license plate on her before I half to put her in the scrap yard

Quick Reply: 92-96 300 inline 6 cyl.