Pre-1997 Models

1985 Ford F150 3.9 Liter (300) Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1985 Ford F150 3.9 Liter (300) Flooding

Hello!
So I came here in a massive time of emergency. I'm close to moving and we dug out an old 300 Engine I-6 1985 Ford F-150. We recently rebuilt the carbuerator with gaskets replaced, a new float off an exactly identical carbuerator, a new contact for the electric choke, and a replacement for the fuel pump that works almost perfect. Problem is after replacing the gaskets, needle, seat, float, pump, and even lining to the carbuerator, she's flooding. It's apparent in smell within nearly a few seconds, as you can smell old gas being flushed out from four years she was sitting there. And the electric choke functions just fine, so I'm left wondering just what the hell else may have gone wrong.

Just as an added note, she sat for 4 years behind a closed barrier. Was recently brought back out and ran up and down the road a few times. We just realigned the needle and reseated the float this morning with no luck. I need anyone here with a clue on how these old 300 engines work and any possible suspects causing this problem, as I need her for a move in less than 5 months.

Thanks for reading.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
After you shut the engine off, look into the carb and see if fuel is pouring into it. If so, the charcoal canister that is vented to the carb instead of the manifold when the engine is shut off is flooded with gasoline and expanding and causing the gas to run into the carb.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Roadie
After you shut the engine off, look into the carb and see if fuel is pouring into it. If so, the charcoal canister that is vented to the carb instead of the manifold when the engine is shut off is flooded with gasoline and expanding and causing the gas to run into the carb.
None of that applied. We looked into the carb, and eventually after the few test runs we had, she slapped out of choke and froze in place, top flap completely open and stuck. We recently ordered a replacement YFA carbuerator (Not sure if it is the right model name there, but it has vacuum choke and a few electronic bits like TPS) and the engine kicked over after 20 seconds of pumping fuel, and drove right out of the yard. The old Carbuerator is now being held onto for examination later down the road. Thanks for your help though, I hope to learn a little more here after I'm finished with all the carbuerator stuff.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Congratulations on the repair! And thanks for letting us know what fixed it. By the way it's a 4.9L engine.