Pre-1997 Models

4wd Conversion HELP

Old 12-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wd Conversion HELP

I have a 1985 F-150 short bed regular cab. I have a NP435 4 speed transmission with a Long tail. I just bought a Twin Torsion Bar Dana 44 front axel and its getting put in no problem. My question or worry is about the transfer case and transmission mock up. I don't have any idea what sort of transfer case to get or what all I need to do to make it work with my transmission. It's a bone stock 2wd Base model I'm converting to 4wd and XLT Lariat. I want to keep the transmission if I can but I don't want to get a divorced transfer case, the transmission with the long tail is long enough as it is for a SWB truck...

Old 12-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you mean to say Twin Traction Beam Dana 44 - just so you say it right.
Typically, you can't use a 2WD transmission for a 4x4. They generally have a different tailshaft and since you have to disassemble the transmission to change the tailshaft, you're into a rebuild.
On a conversion, you will want to use a manual shift transfer case to avoid all the wiring of an electric shift model.
You will also need a different transmission mount crossmember as the 4x4 ones are dropped - probably to keep the t/case from hitting the floor.

Search this Thread