Pre-1997 Models

1986 no start no fuel no spark EFI

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1986 no start no fuel no spark EFI

I'm forced to work on my buddys 86 f150 that has been sitting for along time like at least 5 years. Turns over and has no spark. Replaced the coil and ignition control module. Has power to the positive side of coil with the key on. No ground pulse on the negative side. No fuel no power to pump and I cannot find power at the relay. Could a bad ECM cause both of these problems? Any suggestions of a diagnostic flow would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you got power to the coil, and have replaced the ignition module and coil, and get no spark when cranking the engine, the pickup coil inside the distributor is probably bad. You have to remove and disassemble the distributor to replace the pickup coil. Easiest just to get a NEW distributor, try to avoid rebuilt distributors. The rotor is in place under the distributor cap?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes the pick up coil could be next. Really would like to resolve the fuel pump problem next. Might just give up and make him sell it as is. He's dying. Trying to slim out the junk before that.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the battery in good shape? Obviously, it turns over the engine, but what are the volts during the cranking? If not enough volts left, it might not be enough for the ECM??

Just spit balling this... No idea otherwise...

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 04-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need an LED test light to check for a pulse. Flashes too fast for a regular test light.
The ECM is possible, but it's down the list of likely. I'd bet on the PIP first.
If you could pick up a used (known to be good) distributor it wouldn't take long to put in. Truck's probably worth quite a bit more (and easier to sell) if it runs.
But you may run into other issues, like 5 year old gas, seized up pulleys, and who knows what else - so it may be better just to sell it off not running.

Quick Reply: 1986 no start no fuel no spark EFI