Pre-1997 Models

Runs great cold, dies when warm and under load

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runs great cold, dies when warm and under load

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to this forum and joined because of all the answers that I have had answered over the last few trucks I have owned. My truck broke down on my about three weeks ago while stopped at a red light.

94 f150
5.8l E40D transmission
190,xxx miles

I pulled over and left it to finish what I needed to. When I got back to it a few hours later I decided to try to start it and it fired right up. (both awesome and infuriating) On the drive home I made it died on me again. I let it sit and then it started up again and made it home. All in all i drove maybe 10 miles total that day. I noticed that both times that the truck died it was when I was trying to accelerate while in drive. I parked the truck and haven't touched it for a while.

This week I tried to see what was happening exactly. This is what's happening. I start it up (fires up right away), idle it and drive it for a a while (maybe 10-15 minutes), when the engine reaches temperature it will start to sputter. When you pull over and try to accelerate again it just dies. If when it starts to sputter you try to push through it and keep going it will die while you are in motion as well.

*While it happens when the motor runs and is warm the engine does not overheat.

I purchased the code reader for it and was pulling a few codes. 211 and few others that I have erased and forgotten now but when I looked them up it was due to not having the KOEO test set up correctly.

Here is what I have done.
-coolant system flush
-new thermostat
-new coolant temp sensor
-new radiator cap
-new distributor (in an effort to replace the PIP)
-new ignition control module
-new distributor cap and rotor
-new plugs
-new coil
-new IAC
-new TPS

After replacing all that I ultimately still have the same issue with one exception. Now when I am in gear and notice it start happening and I bring it to an idle it is fine. As soon as I gas it it will almost go in limp mode. The engine endless way low and does rev up at all. If you leave it like that you can drive until you turn it off. Then you have to wait a short time in order to start it again. If you instead of turning it off put it in part it acts as it should. revs up perfectly!

I have an EGR on the way and this week plan to inspect the vacuum lines this weekend. I had a friend that said he had the same (possible but he hasn't had the truck for a while) problem as me and it was his fuel pump. I have pressed the valve on the fuel rail while running both while it is happening and while it isn't and the stream looks the same. I know that this isn't anywhere specific enough as measuring the PSI so I have a fuel pressure kit arriving on Thursday that I will use to check. My problem with this, although it might be an incorrect assumption, is that I have the dual tanks that each have their own high pressure pumps so I just can't see how it would be the fuel tanks. I have tested it on each tank and it happens with either.
I also noticed that today if you try to give it fuel while moving and it is trying to die then I heard it twice almost sound like a backfire.

The problem is not intermittent and I can duplicate it each time so I am having a hard time believing that someone else hasn't had this issue before.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and will be followed through.

Thanks
Warren

Last edited by wolfsford; 01-05-2016 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to add
Old 01-05-2016, 01:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see a fuel filter on the list of things you replaced. That would be a good guess with what you described is happening. The fuel filter can be a real beast to change on that truck, you may want to wait for your fuel pressure kit, although it's always a good idea to change the fuel filter.

Other than that you could do some tests when it quits and won't restart, to determine if you lost spark or fuel delivery.

Quick Reply: Runs great cold, dies when warm and under load