Pre-1997 Models

89 F150 dies after a couple of miles

Old 12-01-2015, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 F150 dies after a couple of miles

I've been working on my 89 f150, it has a 302 and auto transmission. The problem I'm having is it will die after driving it a couple of miles or less. After it dies if I let it sit for a minute it will restart and I can make it another couple of miles. I got a code reader and the only code I have is for temp reading but the temp gauge doesn't work, also don't think that code would cause it to die. I've replaced the coil, ignition control module, ecu, fuel filter, fuel pump relay so far. I'm wondering if it's cutting off the fuel for the safety fuel cutoff system I read about but can hear the fuel pump running when it dies so don't think that would be it. I've also unplugged the 2 prong plug off of the distributor with no change. I'm not sure what to check or change next. Any ideas?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:48 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
the only code I have is for temp reading but the temp gauge doesn't work, also don't think that code would cause it to die
It might - if the ECU is getting the wrong temperature reading it's not going to run in closed loop and will run excessively rich when it warms up. You need to fix this issue first.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:13 PM
It runs great actually right up until it falls on it's face and dies. I found how to use a jumper wire to keep the fuel pumps running constant to elminate those shutting off and still dies just the same. It's just like something is cutting off spark all together after just a few min of driving. What's strange is it restarts after just sitting for a minute you'd think if it's a sensor warming up it'd still be warm until it cools back down completely. I've also cut the exhaust off just before the cat to eliminate that from being plugged, Also have run it without the air cleaner in for a bit to see if it just isn't getting enough air but that's not the problem either. Definitely seems like something is cutting off spark.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:46 PM
glc
About the only thing left in the ignition system is the distributor pickup coil.

How do the cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires look?

Old 12-03-2015, 02:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most common thing to go bad on this vintage Ford is the PIP inside the distributor.(distributor pickup coil as glc calls it, it has several names just so everybody is on the same page). You have to remove and disassemble the distributor to replace the PIP. Or just replace the distributor, but don't get a rebuilt distributor as you may get one just like you got. O'reilly Auto Parts is supposed to have NEW reproduction distributors.

Other possibilities are the coil and the ignition module, but i see you already replaced those.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 AM
The new distributor I got came complete so the pickup coil is new, cap rotor and wires are all new also. I'm going to see if I can post a short vid of what it's doing. It starts idles and runs great. It also will sit and idle for almost an hour, just when you start driving it you can only get a mile or so until it dies. When it does die there is intermittent spark for a few seconds and spits and sputters, if you feather the gas for a bit can get a few more seconds of rough idle out of it before it dies completely. Could a malfunctioning tps cause it to just die? I'd think it wouldn't run good at all then though.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Could be a bad fuel pump.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:03 PM
glc
You already replaced the distributor? You didn't say that in your original post.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:07 PM
When I originally wrote the post I hadn't replaced the distributor yet. I'm wondering if it could be a bad fuel pump. It looks like these trucks have a high pressure pump on the frame rail and a lift pump in the tank. Only problem there is the problem persists on both tanks and I can hear the high pressure pump running when it's dying so I know the high pressure is working, I'd doubt both lift pumps would fail at the same time. I had to work today so didn't get time to take a small vid of what it's doing when it dies. I'll try and do it tomorrow.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Check the fuel pressure and see.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Guess I might need to invest in a fuel pressure gauge next

Old 12-03-2015, 10:15 PM
glc
Auto parts stores loan out fuel pressure gauge kits, you don't have to buy one.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:08 AM
I took a few short mpegs of driving it and it dying on my today. I noticed that each time this happens I go a shorter and shorter distance before it dies. I'm almost wondering if it could be my fuel filter being plugged again. It did have old crappy gas in it when I got it, I suppose there could have been enough sediment and stuff in the tank to plug a fuel filter again after draining the tanks. I'm gonna try throwin a new fuel filter on again and see if that changes anything. I live in the country and 40 miles from the closest auto parts store, I called them and they'd only loan out a fuel pressure tester if i was there in the lot. I guess I still might just have to go buy one, didn't look like they're too expensive, I think harbor freight had one for $20

Old 12-05-2015, 11:11 AM
I just realized I can't upload the mpegs here either. I guess they don't really show much, just driving a couple miles and seeing and hearing the thing spit sputter and die. It does it with the engine warm or cold, why I'm kinda leaning more towards just a plugged fuel filter again. I'll let ya all know what I find out after doing that again.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:23 PM
glc
Maybe you should drop the tank/tanks and flush them out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 F150 dies after a couple of miles