Pre-1997 Models

8.8" build/upgrade suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8.8" build/upgrade suggestions

I have a 92' F150 with 8.8" 3:55 & LS.

What would be recommended to build it as rugged as reasonable and best option to eliminate the c-clips?

The one thing that I like about the 9" is it doesn't have c-clips. But Strange and Moser have c-clip eliminators. Is there any problems or issues to using c-clip eliminators?

Will be regearing to 4:10, limited slip, heavy duty 31 spline axles & welding tubes to center.

Strange has 31 spline with 1/2" studs and c-clip eliminators and 4:10 ring & pinon. But don't know anything about them other than what read on their web site.

I know some will say c-clips are fine, but it just bothers me that if some how I snap an axle my wheel & truck will part company, how ever unlikely it might be. lol

If I use 31 spline axles I can use the factory LS for a while so can put $ into other stuff on truck for a while.

Doing SAS on front, but will build all of it that I can, but some things need to be measured before ordering. In a few days after I get things figured out what I want to use for the SAS, I'll post it up here & get some input on my intended components.

Whose axles & ring & pinion would recommend? Anything else be recommended to do for the 8.8" rear? It's not really going to be a hard use rig, but want to have it as strong as reasonably can be made.

Edit: Found out Dutchman makes a 9" end that is welded in, then uses bolt in axles like the 9" and doesn't then doesn't need c-clip eliminators, which have read tend to leak. Going to check them out.
Strange axles aren't intended for truck & off road use, I found out.

Cheers, Allen

Last edited by abosely; 11-18-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: 35 spline won't fit LS.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Yukon makes a kit for the explorer rear end. It comes with new axles and the c clip eliminator kit. Not sure if you can get just the c clip eliminator kit but may be worth a phone call.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Biggest problems with the c-clip elims are leaking.
I had a built 8.8 in my FOX and it had the 9" ends welded on.
Step it up to a 35spline setup and forget abt it

Old 12-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
In the days before C-clips, the axle bearing was pressed on the axle and held the axle. If the bearing failed, the axle could come out. It happened to a cousin on his 56 Chevy.

Quick Reply: 8.8" build/upgrade suggestions