Pre-1997 Models

4.9 to 4.6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9 to 4.6 swap

Hi guys,
I have a few questions I need some answers to and your input would be greatly appreciated. My son and I own a '95 F150 SWB (105k miles) with the 4.9 I6 and the M5OD. Great engine but I'm afraid it's dead. (That tends to happen when the oil pan gasket fails and a 19 year old at the wheel. I guess the music was too loud to hear the engine struggling without any oil in it). Anyway a good friend of mine has a 4.6 out of a '98 Mark viii LSC DOHC. I know the smart thing would be to get the 4.9 rebuilt but, my son (and myself a little) just love the thought and sound of the V8. If we do this we will take it back to 4 barrel Holly carb to avoid the headache of messing with the computer. So can you give me an idea what it will take to make this happen? I'm guessing the engine mounts, transmission, bell housing will all have to be changed as well. Which I'm not a fan of the M5OD this is the second one in it anyway. So what transmission and bell housing should I even be looking for? There seem to be hundreds of different ones but having trouble getting concrete info on what exactly I need. Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated. And a cost estimate if possible.
Thanks for your time and knowledge.
AHop in Indiana

Old 10-20-2015, 05:57 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I don't know if there are ANY intake manifolds for a carb for a 4.6, and your transmission won't bolt up to a 4.6. A 5.0/302 would be a much easier swap, the tranny will bolt right up and the electronics are a lot easier to deal with.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sell the truck & buy something with the engine you want. You'll be money, miles, & man-hours ahead.

Quick Reply: 4.9 to 4.6 swap