Pre-1997 Models

is the steering column with airbag, the same steering column without the airbag? 1995

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the steering column with airbag, the same steering column without the airbag? 1995

i have a 1995 f150 and the bearing for the steering wheel is shot and the steering wheel wobbles. i have a friend who has a steering column/wheel but it has the air bag and mine does not have a airbag

. will it still fit my truck just with out hooking up the air bag?

this is the steering column my friend wants to sell me

this is the steering column in my truck that is bad.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I don't know if it will fit, but I can see that it doesn't have cruise control buttons.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002F150SuperCr
is the steering column with airbag, the same steering column without the airbag?
Yes, and no. The column in trucks changed in '92, but it didn't get an airbag in trucks until '94. The same column was used even earlier in some cars, and it's still used in some models today. Click this & read the captions:

i have a 1995 f150 ... and mine does not have a airbag
Yes, it does. All '94-98 trucks <8500GVWR have a driver's airbag.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Yes, it does. All '94-98 trucks <8500GVWR have a driver's airbag.[/QUOTE]

my truck is actually a 1996 according to the title and mine does NOT have an airbag. i think i would know if my truck had an airbag. I far as i know it was an option from the factory to have an airbag from 94-96.

LIKE i said this IS the steering wheel that is in my 1996 F150. this style does NOT have an airbag.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:40 AM
my truck is actually a 1996 according to the title and mine does NOT have an airbag.
Then someone removed it, either by swapping the steering wheel, or the steering column.
i think i would know if my truck had an airbag.
You might think that, but MANY people don't know what's in their vehicles. Many pre-'92 truck owners don't realize they have tilt steering columns, and have argued with me about that one. Many '96 Bronco owners don't realize they have turn signals in their side mirrors because they're not visible to the driver. And many used-vehicle owners don't realize that previous owners have modified their vehicles.
I far as i know it was an option from the factory to have an airbag from 94-96.
It wasn't. All trucks <8500GVWR were equipped.
...this IS the steering wheel that is in my 1996 F150.
It's not original. Open the hood and look at the rubber fillers between the grille & the steel core support. Do you see another steel plate bolted down on each side?

Old 06-07-2015, 02:48 PM
what ever dude. i have owned about 15 of these trucks i know what im talking about. keep sitting behind your computer blowing smoke out of your ***. i know what my truck has. what makes you a ford expert.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:10 AM
keep sitting behind your computer blowing smoke out of your ***. i know what my truck has. what makes you a ford expert.
But you're not gonna answer my last question, upload pics of your actual truck, or read its owner's manual? Here - you can download it free directly from Ford if you don't have one:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/

My *** doesn't smoke, and my Ford expertise comes from many sources: owning & rebuilding about a dozen vehicles; working on friends' Fords; working at several independent repair shops as a pro for a few years; working at a Ford dealership as a technician; passing about 80 online Ford tests; passing a few classroom Ford courses; passing a few ASE tests; having all the '92-07 Ford service manuals, EVTMs, & PCEDs here in front of me; publishing quite a few of my own diagrams & procedures for maintaining & modifying these trucks; building & selling a few rare parts for them...

Yeah, I know you're gonna say that's all BS and you don't care. But why did you ask me if you're not going to believe me? All you have to do (if you have the courage) is to click my signature link, browse the photo albums, and look at the number of hits on each one. Depending which skin you use for this site, you may have to scroll up to my first post in this thread to see my signature.

Last edited by Steve83; 06-08-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
what ever dude. i have owned about 15 of these trucks i know what im talking about. keep sitting behind your computer blowing smoke out of your ***. i know what my truck has. what makes you a ford expert.
These guys are trying to help you. If you don't like their advice, vote with your feet. But, keep it civil!

- Jack

Old 03-04-2021, 06:55 PM
Replace non air bag column w/airbag column

Originally Posted by Steve83
But you're not gonna answer my last question, upload pics of your actual truck, or read its owner's manual? Here - you can download it free directly from Ford if you don't have one:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/

My *** doesn't smoke, and my Ford expertise comes from many sources: owning & rebuilding about a dozen vehicles; working on friends' Fords; working at several independent repair shops as a pro for a few years; working at a Ford dealership as a technician; passing about 80 online Ford tests; passing a few classroom Ford courses; passing a few ASE tests; having all the '92-07 Ford service manuals, EVTMs, & PCEDs here in front of me; publishing quite a few of my own diagrams & procedures for maintaining & modifying these trucks; building & selling a few rare parts for them...

Yeah, I know you're gonna say that's all BS and you don't care. But why did you ask me if you're not going to believe me? All you have to do (if you have the courage) is to click my signature link, browse the photo albums, and look at the number of hits on each one. Depending which skin you use for this site, you may have to scroll up to my first post in this thread to see my signature.
Steve83!!! I believe you and I have the same exact problem. Just googled my problem today and got into this forum. I have a 1995 XL 7.3 350 Crew Cab with so much play in the steering wheel in all directions my wife won't ride in it anymore. It tilts without my touching the tilt adjust bar. The clock spring got stuck in there and jacked a bunch of stuff up in the middle of a turn a while back and it has never been right since. MY GVWR is 9200 lbs and I have a steering wheel exactly like dude who made the first post. I am trying to buy a new column and wheel from car-part.com but any that look decent are the more square inset types with SRS. Can I simply replace my column and wheel with a column and wheel with the airbag without any complications? I don't want to hook up the air bag anyway. Thanks Steve 83 or any other expert.

Last edited by JonnyCat; 03-04-2021 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added XL

Quick Reply: is the steering column with airbag, the same steering column without the airbag? 1995