Pre-1997 Models

Lighting Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lighting Nightmare!

Help! I have a 1995 Ford F-150 / 4-Wheel Drive / Trailer Package

All lights in front work properly. Cargo lights and 3rd brake light work properly. Back up lights work on both sides. Tail lights do not work on either side. License plate lights do not work. Left rear...no hazard light, brake light, or turn signal. Right rear....I have hazard light, brake light, and turn signal. All bulbs have been replaced and all fuses appear to be good. I am thinking it can not be a fuse issue because I have rear right brake light, turn signal, and hazard light. Those lights are common to the same fuses as the left side for the same lights. If the taillight issue was a fuse related issue, wouldn't my parking lights in front also be out? I have not yet replaced any relays for the same reasons I have not replaced fuses. I am leaning toward the multi-function switch so does anyone know if that switch is common to tail lights and license plate lights, as well as hazard lights, turn signals, and brake lights? Is it possible my head light switch has stopped working properly at the same time I have lost full function in my multi-function switch?

Last edited by easy_touch; 04-11-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: better info
Old 04-11-2015, 11:43 AM
it may be your head light switch??? You should check fuses inside and in engine box too if you have one. Always pull the fuse and look at it, don't just use a test light or meter. Could have a bad relay too??? don't know if any of this helps. Make sure your 4 way switch is not on when testing.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:45 AM
here are some pictures that may be helpful.
https://www.google.com/search?q=1995...g&ved=0CCQQsAQ

Old 04-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Thank You for the assistance but I do not understand how my head light switch would affect my hazard lights or my turn signals.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:25 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You have it backwards, Rev - don't just look at the fuse, test it with a meter.

The headlight switch can indeed cause this, as can the multifunction switch if a 95 has one.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
check for high resistance on the ground circuit.

best way to test the entire circuit (or small segments) is by doing a voltage drop test

Old 04-12-2015, 02:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All the parking lights are on the same circuit; if one works, the h/l sw. is OK and they all should work, and they don't go thru the MFS. Either the Brown wire is cut between the splice to the engine bay harness and the taillamps (like maybe in the frame harness), or the bulb sockets are bad. A ground fault would affect the brake/turn lights, too.

My guess would be that someone butchered the wiring between the rear bumper & the rear fuel tank crossmember while splicing in a trailer connector.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Just finished installing a new head light switch.....still no tail lights! It seems that Steve83 is correct and Thank You Steve83. My next move was to replace the MFS which I have found they refer to as a simple turn signal switch for the 1995 F-150. Ford wants $176.09 for that little baby so it is extremely helpful to learn that switch does not control my tail lamps.....Thank You again!
This truck has a Y in the harness for the trailer connection. I will begin pulling the harness apart to see what that does.

Last edited by easy_touch; 04-12-2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Again...Steve83 was dead on! Found a brown wire that looked lonely so I spliced it to the short end of a brown wire sticking out of the wire harness. I instantly had tail lamps. I should have stopped there! I found another loose wire and touched it to where it looked like it may belong. Instantly lost turn signals, hazard lamps, and brake lamps in the rear of the truck. Had to stop for the day since I am working outside without a raft and it has started raining. Steve83....Thank You again for sending me down the right path.

Quick Reply: Lighting Nightmare!