Pre-1997 Models

85 Carb help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Carb help

Ok so I have a 85 f150 with a straight 6 that is having some carb issues. First of all there is no ID plate on the carb so i'm having trouble IDing which carb i have. I beleive that its a carter but unsure of the model. Second The butterfly air inlet will not open up once the engine warms up. The choke has an electric choke which someone wired into the alternator however it's not receiving power(where should the electric choke wire into?) It appears that at one point there was a choke with a vacuum pull off because I found a vacuum line that was plugged that wrapped around to the left side of the carb. Next The throttle position sensor is currently disconnected once I found the other end and connected it the truck would bog down as you got up to speed so I disconnected it(Do I really need it?) I'm trying to adjust the carb but right now until i get all the other bugs worked out I'm kind of stuck. what should be my best course of action?

Thanks

Jake

Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks to me like you have more than 1 vac line that is plugged or off. Might want to start with a vac diagram and make sure everything is in the right place. Plus it liiks like there are 2 electrical connectors unplugged.

If you don't have the vac and electrical hooked right then no amount of adjustment is going to be very good.

If you are lucky Steve83, or Adrianspeeder, or ProjectSHO will chime in. They all have a pretty good grip on that old iron.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jake3247
...there is no ID plate on the carb so i'm having trouble IDing which carb i have. I beleive that its a carter but unsure of the model.
There was really only 1, although it was available plain (mechanical) and feedback (electronic, which is what you have).

The butterfly air inlet will not open up once the engine warms up.
That's the choke plate. Have you ever adjusted the choke linkage?
The choke has an electric choke...
That's a choke ASSIST. Even without that, the choke should still pull off, if it's adjusted properly.
...which someone wired into the alternator however it's not receiving power(where should the electric choke wire into?)
Factory choke assists are old-school 6V, which is what the alternator's Stator output is, so that's what it's wired to. Aftermarket assists are usually 12V.
It appears that at one point there was a choke with a vacuum pull off...
Not factory, so not vacuum-operated.
The throttle position sensor is currently disconnected once I found the other end and connected it the truck would bog down as you got up to speed so I disconnected it(Do I really need it?)
Depends how you want the engine to run. The feedback carb is controlled by a very rudimentary EEC, similar to what EFIs used until '96. It's also rare, and parts are virtually-impossible to find. So making it work "right" is almost NOT an option. The easiest fix would be to revert the carb to the older non-feedback configuration, but they didn't run all that great, either.
what should be my best course of action?
EFI

. .

Quick Reply: 85 Carb help