Pre-1997 Models

Anyone here equipped w/ a Tommy Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here equipped w/ a Tommy Lift?

Got Rearended last week and have been trying to decide what bumper and tailgate to get at the salvage yard.....
Walked past it a few times than realized there was a Ford truck there with an older Tommy Lift installed. The price is a screaming deal and pretty close to the cost of a bumper and tailgate.
Waiting on the check from the guys insurance before I get to crazy with ideas but thought I'd ask y'all and see what you did with your install. This one is on an early f250.
Suspension mods in the least would be air shocks and perhaps add a leaf.
Speaking of add a leaf, guess I'll search around for that thread.
I'm pretty sure it was stuff from a junkyard too. If you know the thread or something similar, please let me know.
Thanks.
Will

Last edited by aRustyPatina; 12-24-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't have one but I'm intrigued by them. They can be very handy but only if you can place the cargo by hand or forklift (more about that below). But as for a used one in a junk yard, I'd want to see it powered up and operating before I put down any money. Junk yards in my area are notorious for selling --- JUNK! With no return and no guarantee. Repairs and parts could be hard to find and expensive, especially for a non-commercial user.

I've used a similar ones on bigger trucks and the problem that I've frequently found is the very end of the ramp has about a two inch drop at a VERY steep angle, probably about 60 degrees. It's impossible to roll a heavy object with small wheels up on them. You have to be able to LIFT the object onto the lift gate. Which rather defeats it's purpose in my mind. Also the main deck on the lift was sloped enough that wheeled items like to roll off of it! Bad news, if you're on the ground but REALLY bad news if it decides to roll off after you're raised the list gate into the air! It seems like who ever designed and built them never intended for them to be used with wheeled items, only found large flat bottomed items that you can set on the lift with a forklift or by hand.

I was nearly crushed by a 3500 pound UPS that decided to roll off of one of those sloped lift gates after it was three feet in the air so I'm not as big of a fan of them as I once was!

To me it all comes down to the question of whether or not you NEED it enough to justify the costs and upkeep AND if the items that you're dealing with can be loaded onto it and removed by hand or if you have access to a forklift or some thing like to load and unload items with. I seldom now haul big computers and the like so they just aren't worth it to me. Now it's easier and cheaper to just rent a Penske truck for the day if I need to move stuff like that.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 AM
Tommy Lift: to Lift or Not to Lift....

I hear you on the JUNK sellers. Did some research and found a few places that sell typical "weak point" parts like lift cables and the like. This one is one of the very first offered so made like a tank. I plan on bringing a battery and remote starter cable to give it a test. The armature on this one is very basic and aside from it getting so hot the bearings seize seems the only concern.
On the use if not JUNK will be mainly hauling furniture, preferably w/out WHEELS!!!
Seems you've had some FUN with these things, glad nothing took you out. I've seen folks loading as you said; item on lift decides it's like to be on the ground instead, not good.
For my main application, furniture, it should be perfect. The only thing that is a bit risky would be using it to load my vintage Vespas and the occasional motorcycle. At least they have hand brakes!!
I'll post back when I get the chance to haul a battery and test it. Thanks & Happy New Year.
W

Old 03-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I had a TommyLift on a half ton and it really hurt the ride. Lots of weight aft of the axle... not good. Not as bad on a 3/4 ton but be prepared for a rough ride.

Quick Reply: Anyone here equipped w/ a Tommy Lift?