Pre-1997 Models

89 F150 4.9 vacuum issues and idles rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 F150 4.9 vacuum issues and idles rough

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums. I know this has been a post topic talked about a lot, so sorry to rehash. I just bought a 1989 f150 regular cab 4x4, 5 speed manual, 4.9l 300 I6. I've always owned fords, and love my 300 i6 engines. However, this one has more "shtuff" under the hood than I've ever encountered. The PO determined the rough idle to be due to clogged injectors. He replaced the front tank, internal pump, and sending Unit, fuel filter. Amazing enough when he removed the injectors, he didn't remove the upper manifold. But he did remove several things that I'm not sure of routing. I installed new injectors and reinstalled fuel rail. Finally figured out the after run blower sensor and tube. He did remove the air diverter valve that mounts above alternator. I was able to figure out the big hoses on the diverter valve, but clueless as to the small vacuum connections. I'm currently installing new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. It starts and runs, very rough idle, will stall if pedal not lightly feathered. Does drive, when moving above about 1600 rpm, drives ok. Any suggestions.

Quick Reply: 89 F150 4.9 vacuum issues and idles rough