Pre-1997 Models

General questions on 1985 F150 XLT (buying this week)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General questions on 1985 F150 XLT (buying this week)

Greetings

I am in the process of purchasing an 85 F150 XLT
Specs: 5.8L, 4x4, 4 speed manual (converted from automatic), headers, upgraded carb, dual exhaust (with Cats), rebuilt from frame up so all rusted panels have been replaced. 118k miles

I know to make sure the ball joints are good, as well as the brake lines. What else should I be looking for? Carfax is clean (no R title, accidents or flood reported). Only 2 owners.

It looks good in pics. Heading out of state to see it this week which includes getting it up on a lift with my old mechanic.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:16 PM
FYI, the basics are covered...check oil, all fluids, belts, brakes.. Just looking for any typical problem point on these. If this were a late 90's Explorer, I would know that the automatic transmissions are an issue. So, looking for that sort of input.

The AC had been removed, so I will need to get that going again. Not sure how much of it was removed yet from the restoration. Parking brake cable is on, but not connected to the rear. And it has some cracking in the boots. So, that will be an immediate replacement.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:02 PM
fuel pumps.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by hotrod12345
fuel pumps.
Thanks.

Turns out, getting it on the lift was the best thing I could have done. Mechanically, it checked out. However, the "restoration" turned out to be just a pretty paint job. Body panels did not line up well. Too many things were just hacked up. Under the dash was a mess from the auto to manual conversion. There was lots of play in the firewall needed some welding work or some sort of steel bracket. Almost all of the emission controls were removed (I could possibly have issues in NJ with that, unless it is exempt due to the age). Bed was wavy from the body work and all the corners on the vehicle were solid bondo. Paint was ok. I could tell it was done in a garage or outside instead of a paint booth. All orange peel, possible gnats in the paint and overspray on the rear corners. It looks good from a distance until you examine it in a sun glare.

On the plus side, the interior looked great. Engine had some ***** to it and ran strong. Shifting was fine.

If it were only $2500, I might still consider it knowing I have lots of work ahead of me. But not for $5500.

BTW, did an 85 XL come with an air pump. My mechanic was 90% sure it did, but it was most likely removed.

Quick Reply: General questions on 1985 F150 XLT (buying this week)