Pre-1997 Models

1987 F-250 loses power after 10 minutes while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 F-250 loses power after 10 minutes while driving

5.0 L V-8, Electronic Fuel Injection, 79,000 miles, 2 WD, 4 speed manual. I'm the original owner.

If I drive it 4-5 miles on secondary streets (25-40 MPH) it shuts off without warning and will not restart without a 20-30 minute wait. If I drive it 2-3 miles and park it for a couple of minutes it will not restart without waiting 20-30 minutes. Checked engine water temp gauge and it is normal.

The local mechanics found no spark when it failed at their garage. They replaced the ignition module on distributor. This did not fix the problem. In their second attempt they replaced the coil. Still the same problems persists and the mechanics are stumped.

It's like something in ignition package heats up after 10 minutes and either sticks open causing no spark or closes shorting out the spark if that is even possible.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to fix it. Thanks -- Glen

Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
That symptom does point to the TFI module on the dizzy, but did they test the old one, as well as the replacement? What brand was the replacement?

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to follow up on the truck problem; I took the '87 F-250 to a second repair service center. They replaced the distributor pick-up coil or stator as it also called on Friday. I have taken the truck for two short runs and have experienced no problems. I think the problem is fixed!

Ironically this auto repair center is just across the street from me and is run by one mechanic and his wife who also has great auto repair knowledge. They work on a lot of older and classic cars and should have went there first. They also have great rates.

In addition to the stator they found 5 of 8 connection points in the distributor cap were corroded and replaced the cap. This had caused misfiring for about 5 minutes at start up after extended periods of rain or fog; a different problem also solved. The distributor rotor was also replaced.

The original service center I took the truck to has a great reputation and has a number of certified young mechanics but they failed four times to find and fix the problem. They could only recommend me going to a certified Ford service center miles away and was not a good option for me. Now I'm good to go and hope this info will help someone else with a similar problem.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: 1987 F-250 loses power after 10 minutes while driving