Pre-1997 Models

replacing just the rubber gas hose from cap

Old 06-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing just the rubber gas hose from cap

1995 V8, 5.0 2WD, dual tanks

I'm thinking that the fuel gauge stopped working when I started putting gas in the front tank and noticed it was leaking fuel as I was doing it. Someone mentioned it can disrupt the pressure settings if there is a leak. I wanted to replace those hose but I've seen pics of just the rubber hose and a filler neck unit. This will hopefully fix the leak of course and maybe even the fuel guage reading E all the time.

The filler neck unit has an inner tube and outer rubber hose I *THINK* from generic pictures I've seen on the internet

Does the 1995 have a smaller filler neck that goes all the way into the tank or does it just go about halfway down the hose?

I'd like to replace just the outer hose for now instead of the almost $200 filler neck/hose combo.

Does anyone know if the 1995 version has that long inner tube that goes into the tank? I know I probably have to drop the tank just a little bit (thinking of a jack and 2 stands with a plank of wood to hold the tank about 6" from the body.

Also, the part that is attached to the cap, looks like its rivted into the body, not screws. Any tips of getting this out?

Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Have you verified it is actually leaking from a hose? If the gauge is stuck on E in the front tank, it may be the fuel tank sending unit. The fuel tank filler neck, fuel line connector, and associated fuel tank parts can be purchased from www.rockauto.com for a very reasonable price.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 06-14-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
Have you verified it is actually leaking from a hose? If the gauge is stuck on E in the front tank, it may be the fuel tank sending unit. The fuel tank filler neck, fuel line connector, and associated fel tank parts can be purchasedfrom www.rockauto.com for a vry reasonable price.
Thank you Blue! I've been researching it for a while and yes those are the possible culprits. I figure the issue at the moment is when I do fill up, it drips..drips...drips and when its almost full, gush.

I'm gonna borrow a friend's GoPro camera and have them hold it inside the wheel well while I fill up. Cause I really can't see anything.

The dripping is probably a priority right now. I can fill up and reset the odometer.

Whatever the front tank size is, I'm getting 212 miles to a tank on that so I just have to get gas at around 200 mile mark.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 AM
That isn't great mileage; I typically get about 220 miles on the front tank in my Gen 1 Lightning.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
That isn't great mileage; I typically get about 220 miles on the front tank in my Gen 1 Lightning.
Its a 95. And its a utility truck. You know the ones with all the panels on the sides and top for tools and stuff? I don't do work on it, I put groceries and bicycle equipment in there. That utility bed probably adds a few hundred pounds extra. A lot of steel! Especially the rear gate and rear bumper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing just the rubber gas hose from cap