Pre-1997 Models

Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance?

So since I got my new to me 96 straight 6 I have realized it's not the fastest thing on the streets. Now while I know that it won't win any drag races is there any way to wake it up a little bit? Maybe a chip/tuner, or cold air intake, throttle body spacer, exhaust, etc. I have noticed in the morning while the temp is cool that it seems to be a little more responsive... Any thoughts?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 AM
1. A good tune up (motorcraft copper plugs, brass contact cap & rotor, low ohm wires, high output coil, motorcraft fuel filter, new O2 sensor, new brake hoses, a complete fluid exchange)
2. K&N air filter
3. 3:55 differential gears
4. With an E4OD transmission, a Punisher valve body
5. Advance timing 2 degrees
6. Electric fan
7. Magnaflow or Dynomax catted mid-pipe
8. Dynomax cat back

A chip is a waste of money, as well as aTB spacer. Advance your timing a few degrees and run 91 or 93 octane, and install a Punisher Valve Body in your transmission. If it's a 5 speed, install a new clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate, drain and fill transmission. Install a K&N drop in filter, not the dual in filter assembly they call a CAI, all you will get is water from rain and washing the truck, and hot air from under the hood.

James

Last edited by Blue07STX; 06-03-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: content
Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
1. A good tune up (motorcraft copper plugs, brass contact cap & rotor, low ohm wires, high output coil, motorcraft fuel filter, new O2 sensor, new brake hoses, a complete fluid exchange)
2. K&N air filter
3. 3:55 differential gears
4. With an E4OD transmission, a Punisher valve body
5. Advance timing 2 degrees
6. Electric fan
7. Magnaflow or Dynomax catted mid-pipe
8. Dynomax cat back

A chip is a waste of money, as well as aTB spacer. Advance your timing a few degrees and run 91 or 93 octane, and install a Punisher Valve Body in your transmission. If it's a 5 speed, install a new clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate, drain and fill transmission. Install a K&N drop in filter, not the dual in filter assembly they call a CAI, all you will get is water from rain and washing the truck, and hot air from under the hood.

James
Can I advance the timing prior to getting the valve body or will that mess things up?

Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Yes, you can advance the timing, it will not interfere with the shift firmness. Do you know how to set timing on your truck? You will need to pull the spout, and do not advance more than 2 degrees, without test driving it and checking for ping/pre-detonation. Run the tanks with Super Unleaded one fill-up prior to advancing timing. I would use a Haynes Repair Manual to assist you in checking your timing. You need to ensure it is set at base timing before beginning. And, ensure no aftermarket chip is installed.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 06-04-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Performance?