Pre-1997 Models

'95 f150 4.9L - possible vapor lock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 f150 4.9L - possible vapor lock?

Hello all,

So yesterday driving to work I experienced a problem. Everything was running great for about 15 miles, then out of no where my truck began to run very sluggish. When in first gear the truck would hop and bounce violently and I was receiving no power. The first thing I thought of was a transmission issue however when I finally found a safe place to stop I opened the gas caps on both the front and rear tanks and they hissed like pressure was being released the rear tank ended up spewing out about 2 gallons of gas and the truck ran fine after I did this. I did some research and I'm guessing it was a vapor lock issue. If that is the case what can I do to prevent this from happening in the future and what maintenance or repairs should I consider?

I just purchased this truck and I love it and want to keep it for a while. It's a 1995 F150 4.9l V6 4x4 if that helps!

Thanks,

Casey

Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 PM
My guess is that your fuel tank vent is clogged.

This would allow pressure build up and cause the explosive expulsion of fuel when taking off the gas cap.

Be VERY CAREFUL as this is a known issue and has been linked to fires and severe injury from burns.

Make sure you stand to the side and if possible, touch the truck and something going into the ground to make sure no static electricity will cause a spark and possible fire.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by dfwtxpatrick
My guess is that your fuel tank vent is clogged.

This would allow pressure build up and cause the explosive expulsion of fuel when taking off the gas cap.

Be VERY CAREFUL as this is a known issue and has been linked to fires and severe injury from burns.

Make sure you stand to the side and if possible, touch the truck and something going into the ground to make sure no static electricity will cause a spark and possible fire.
Okay thank you very much.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM
The fuel caps may not be venting.I would take a small drill bit and put a hole in the center of the cap.if this solves you're problems, replace both caps

Quick Reply: '95 f150 4.9L - possible vapor lock?