Pre-1997 Models

stranded, truck won't start

Old 05-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stranded, truck won't start

homeless, and now the truck won't start. stuck in a parking lot. looks like hell has run it's course. stopped to get coffee and when i turn the key, it sounds fast, but just won't start. '96 with 351 Windsor. I don't want to flood it but I don't know what this problem is and have no freakin tools on me. I guess it could be the alternator, starter, I don't know. battery cables look ok, I scraped off a bit of corrosion build up. checked the alternator, or starter clips, everything was running great until now.

days ago, it felt as though it didn't start as quick as it usually does, but maybe I didn't pump the pedal much that morning and all has been fine since then.

it's sunday, i'm sleeping in my truck waiting to get into an apt. this freakin sucks. no jumper cables. no tools, i just took them out because the back tool box was full. i'm screwed alright......what might be a problem? thanks

Old 05-04-2014, 02:59 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Wait - so it DOES turn over, it just doesn't fire off? That's a spark or fuel issue, not battery, starter, or alternator.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would pull one of the plugs, ground it out on the block, turn it over and see if your getting spark.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:20 PM
thanks senior glc, but without any tools i'm doomed. I called someone on CL and he mentioned the same thing but not sure when he's gonna show up. I got gas at fred meyer which is a retail chain in the NW. never had a problem since having this truck from last aug.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Nice glc, but wait, u surely woulnt forget about the fuel pump shutoff switch. behind the trim panel below instrment panel? Inside or outside the truck? Damn manual written for not the average ownerbelow

Old 05-04-2014, 10:05 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I dunno where the shutoff switch is on a 96, but on a 97+ it's behind the passenger kick panel, inside the cab.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it sounds like it is turning over too fast could be the timing chain let loose. Especially if it has been hard to start lately. Does it have a lot of miles?
It is 18 years old........

Last edited by aussiekeeper; 05-04-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 AM
your right glc, this mechanic found the shut off switch at the passenger kick panel but he said it was ok. this kid is a crook. He looked as though he didn't know how to assemble the fuel pump pressure gauge. or he was stoned. no pressure, so it took him almost an hour to find the switch. I almost told him to back away but he tested the relays by having me start start try to start about 4 times. nothing. Then he banged underneath the truck at the gas tank and told me to turn it over and it started.

he said I might not get very far. I was very weiry of giving him 40.00 to go get a fuel pump at the wrecking yard as it was close to 5pm. so he got 40.00 for coming out and 80.00 total. he never came back. I didn't bother taking down his lic. plates.

never called me like he said he would. I told him to let me follow him to the wrecking yard and we'll do it there and he said there isn't aplace to do the work but we'll do it back in town where ever I want as he lived close.

he also said he was staying with a friend so we couldnn;t do it there. sure, probably because people are looking for this sob.

he was charging only 35.00 per hr. and we had the truck going in that time. I was stupid to give him the part money. I should expose him on CL for what he did. I see others doing that. truck broke down again so i'm screwed. but i'm at least in the town where these apts. are at where i'm trying to get into.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stranded, truck won't start