Pre-1997 Models

Hesitation upon acceleration..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation upon acceleration..

Hey...Newbie to this sight...need some help on a recurring problem on my 88 F350. Everytime I start off from a dead stop my truck hesitates or actually dies and needs to be restarted. No matter if its cold or warm..if I ease off on the throttle it'll "catch up" and allow me to continue on. Whenever I try to hammer the pedal...it'll die!! What could be the problem...idles good n smooth otherwise. By the way its a 460...got any suggestions...Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-23-2014, 05:14 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Carburetor or fuel injected?

Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
88 should be the first year of EFI on the 460 if it is still stock.

Anyway. Pull the codes if you haven't yet.

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13

I'd bet a doughnut your throttle position sensor is out of range. However, test it before pulling the throttle body apart. Testing procedure is covered in detail in the Haynes manual.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome Grayrenegade! As Adrian said in your other thread, we ask you to refrain from creating duplicate posts on the same subject because it can lead to confusion. I've deleted the other thread because I think your question belongs here.

Hope you get it fixed without too much delay.

- Jack

Old 03-26-2014, 06:41 AM
Hestitation upon acceleration...

Thank You for your quick response and willingness to help out. From the research I've done along with what you have said...it does sound like the TPS would be the problem however the idle is smooth and within the RPM range so I'm rather skeptical, is that a deal breaker??? Thought maybe I should go in a different direction but like they say..."it doesn't hurt to try" I'll go down that road and see what turns up!!
Also thank you for the advise with regards to duplicate posting...makes sense so it won't happen again...Lord knows theres enough confusion in this world without me adding to it!! lol
Also it is a EFI...
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
88 should be the first year of EFI on the 460 if it is still stock.

Anyway. Pull the codes if you haven't yet.

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13

I'd bet a doughnut your throttle position sensor is out of range. However, test it before pulling the throttle body apart. Testing procedure is covered in detail in the Haynes manual.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Duplicate posting...

Thanks for the advise...makes sense that it would cause a slight problem and you are right....my question/problems belong on one specific sight such as the pre 97 forum...looking forward to belonging to this community for quite some time...mainly cause I tend to have alot of problems with anything mechanical, along with owning two F350's....an 88 and 94!!!
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Welcome Grayrenegade! As Adrian said in your other thread, we ask you to refrain from creating duplicate posts on the same subject because it can lead to confusion. I've deleted the other thread because I think your question belongs here.

Hope you get it fixed without too much delay.

- Jack

Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Grayrenegade
idle is smooth and within the RPM range so I'm rather skeptical, is that a deal breaker???
No, that is usually how they fail, but you still need to ohm it out before pulling the throttle body apart.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Hesitation upon acceleration..