Pre-1997 Models

1989 5.8ltr c6 no start/transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:18 PM
rtw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 5.8ltr c6 no start/transmission issues

hello all Ive got a 1989 4x4 short box 150 with the 5.8ltr and a c6.
Ive got a few questions right off the bat.

first the truck is an original c6 truck per the vin and the instrument cluster supports it with only being a 3 speed. the guy I got it from pulled the blown factory trans and put a c6 from a a 84 bronco in it. its all bolted up but the plugs don't seem to match up. What do I need to do to make this trans work?

question number two is. I cant get it to start, which I would assume is because there is no trans hooked up to it. I has a brand new tested starter in it and the starter solenoid is supposedly new two. I tried to bridge the terminals and jump it a the solenoid but I just get some arcing and it makes no attempt to turn over? am I doing something wrong?
sorry for the total noobb questions but Im new to fords and Im know to have bad luck with auto trannys.

thanks for the help I have some pics of the trans and the plugs if that will help

Old 03-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome.

Could be different year to year on the neutral safety switch, so you'd have to put on a matching year switch to your 89's harness, or splice the wires with a diagram.

Just jumping the two main relay posts will cause some arcing, and I wouldn't recommend other than a roadside repair to get home. You mock the function of the key switch to start activating the relay with a small wire from the hot battery side of the relay to the small trigger wire terminal on the relay. Be sure the truck is in park or neutral as it will take off in gear.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: 1989 5.8ltr c6 no start/transmission issues