Pre-1997 Models

fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fuel pump?

So i went to lunch came out and my 1989 ford truck wouldn't start. After my husband proceeded to try and start the car 150 times it finally started getting angry at him and making one hell of a noise. i got out to look under the hood and found out that the pullys had seized up. So i loosened them and proceeded to try and start it. after hitting things with a hammer and generally being way over my head i just happened to come across the fuel pump relay that looked really burnt out and in bad shape. So i replaced it. Needless to say my truck still will not start and im getting no fuel through my lines. I have two tanks on my truck and im pretty sure the fuel pump is toast. Do i have one on my back tank? How can i fix this headache of a problem? It is fuel injection but im not really sure if my fuel pumps are electric or not

Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 PM
You have pumps in both tanks, switch the truck on and cycle through both pumps with the switch, if you dont hear either then its either the relay, or the switch.....worse case (but rare) the computer.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Aaron D
You have pumps in both tanks, switch the truck on and cycle through both pumps with the switch, if you dont hear either then its either the relay, or the switch.....worse case (but rare) the computer.
Can you explain a little bit how this is done? My 95 rear tank is not working. I flip the rocker switch and truck dies in about 30-45 seconds.
Will I be listening under the truck by the tank for a pump sound? With the engine noise, I don't know if I can hear anything!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by ericantonio
Can you explain a little bit how this is done? My 95 rear tank is not working. I flip the rocker switch and truck dies in about 30-45 seconds.
Will I be listening under the truck by the tank for a pump sound? With the engine noise, I don't know if I can hear anything!
You don't have to turn the truck on to prime the pump, just to the run position...

Old 04-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by F150Bee
You don't have to turn the truck on to prime the pump, just to the run position...
Ahhh I see. And listen to the fuel tank right? That's where the sound is coming from? Sorry, seems like an obvious answer but never did this part before

Quick Reply: fuel pump?