Pre-1997 Models

1995 F150xl 4WD Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 F150xl 4WD Problem

I've searched the forums and read a bit about various problems with the 4WD on older f150's and it seems most of it are centered around the electronically activated systems.

I'm looking at buying a 95 F150 300 6cyl 5-speed. The truck has 103K miles and is in very good shape inside and out. Test drove it and the 4WD will not engage. The manual hubs turn free from locked or free and back. The shifter for the 4WD shifts fine and it will go into 4 low or high, but there is no power to the front wheels. I'm thinking of making a low ball offer on the truck as it is even though the owner of the lot where its for sale says he will have it fixed. He's asking $4500 for it.

So, what do you all think? Let him fix it and verify its working and go ahead with a deal or offer him a lower price as is? I know I'm taking a gamble and there could be several reasons that the 4WD isn't working, but I'm thinking maybe the hubs are just stuck. What is the worst case scenario to fix the 4WD if I buy it as is?

I know this is a lot of questions and "what ifs", but I would appreciate some advice from those who know much more than me.

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: 1995 F150xl 4WD Problem