Pre-1997 Models

Water/timing cover problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water/timing cover problem

Ok first thanks to all of you who give great advice and info to us newbies!!!
So the story is that I swapped a blown 92 5.0 in my 92 f-150 XLT with that of a 89 5.0 from a crown vic. Going to rebuild my 92 but need the truck to rum first.

I swapped over all the front of engine stuff including the water pump to make everything line up and work. I now have a massive leak between tho pump and plate at the bottom where there are no blots. The 92 has two less bolts than the 89, but the holes are covered by the gasket. RTV/Gasket and still leaks. Ideas? I am not a newbie to working on cars, I have never had this problem. Do I actually need to swap the timing cover also?

Also there was a sensor on the back upper block molding behind the intake manifold. What is it? Do I need it? there is no place to put it on the 89. can I just plug it in and leave it?

Help ????

Old 02-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hmm, haven't compared covers year to year, but I'd imagine that you'd need the crown vic cover to go with that block.

Snag a picture of the sensor, but I'm thinking that is one of the two coolant sensors. What does it go down into on the 92 block?

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-25-2014, 01:59 AM
Hi adrian thanks for the response. I can not get a pic because I am without photographic device. "on purpose" however I have surmised that I believe it is one of the two temp sensors. Can I just leave it? there is nowhere to put it on the older engine.
Having a lot of issues with this swap, for example the timing cover is different than what it says it should be. Extra bolt holed for water pump. So I am going to have to swap out the timing cover I presume, to make the rest work.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Yes, you will need the correct timing cover, which can most likely be found at www.rockauto.com, as well as the correct gaskets. I recommend Victor Reinz gaskets, over the blue Fel-Pro gaskets. I used the Victor Reinz gaskets last spring, on my '95 F-150. I put a light, even coat of Permatex Ultra Gray on each side of the water pump gaskets and allowed it to tack up a few minutes. I used Permatex Copper Gasket Sealer on the cover to block gasket, just brush it on one side and allow it to dry for ten minutes, then turn it over and apply to opposite side, let set ten minutes, and slide it over the pilot studs. I do recommend using a few pilot studs to aid in installation.

You may or may not need a backing plate gasket. If so, I recommend using the Victor Reinz gasket as well.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 02-25-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys!!! I would up Fabbing up a plate to work. hour of plinking and its all good!!! I was not wanting to pull everything apart again. so a little metal working skill did the trick. I did use the Victor gaskets and perma as well as gaskets, doing well so far.

I am now having a high idle problem and there are no vac leaks that I can find. Well i guess if there wasn't something to repair I would get bored.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
High idle could be a vacuum leak or a stuck IAC.

Quick Reply: Water/timing cover problem