Pre-1997 Models

White Lightnin' Build, adventure, and history thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Lightnin' Build, adventure, and history thread

Ok so I am new here but every forum I have been on loves build threads so I figured I would start one here also (more people seeing the truck means more ideas). So here we go (Start up maybe a bit slow along with building as I don't have much money)
info on truck: 1988 Ford F150 4x4 302 C6 auto transmission 3.55LS D44 TTB ford 8.8 rear, custom package regular cab long bed, white exterior blue interior. 2/88 is the build date. Those are the specs.
Mods done when I got it: bug deflector, gooseneck hitch, shift kit and rebuilt transmission, CB radio mount, shorty antenna, headlight relay, and wagon wheels.
So history of the truck:
In 88 a lady decided she would buy a truck to tow her 4 horse gooseneck horse trailer to and from phoenix AZ from the white mountains AZ threw hills and such. Not my idea of a job for an F150 of an 88 (maybe an ecoboost). Somewhere in that time the trans let go (very expected and after the warranty) and my 88 sat for a while. In 95 it was sold to a local dealership/auto repair shop. They took the truck because of low mileage and rebuild the trans and added a shift kit. They from then till 07 used the truck as a repossession truck. In 07 it was parked for a replacement (2003 Ford 6.0L tow truck). In 08 it was sold to a local mechanic who bought it to convert his 85 to EFI. He took the intake manifold and removed the dizzy plugging all the holes really well with rags till he could convert this truck to carb (idgit in my opinion). In 09 we moved here and I saw the truck every time I went to school. So in 10 of January we pulled in and bought the truck for $400 as it sat. Drug it home and started working on it. I got a free parts truck and put the intake manifold and dizzy from it into my 88. My dad had bought this truck for a birthday present (don't worry I worked it off). We then got a windshield and rear window brand new for $125 installed. The truck wasn't running still because of dizzy stabed wrong (will list parts replaced soon). While moving the truck again my dad had left the truck in neutral and it rolled into a fire pit crushing the front tank and putting a dent in the bed. The truck is extremely straight so that's why I am willing to work with the truck. last month (January 2014) I finally got time to get it running and drove it for a month not thinking right and it threw a rod about a week or so ago.

So parts replaced:
fuel pump (used free)
intake manifold (free)
fuel tanks (Free)
selector valve ($3 used)
plugs (new)
wires (new)
cap (new)
rotor (new)
distributor (used free)
front bumper (used free also made it so it sits flushed)
bug deflector replaced with different one (my dad had one I liked on his 89 F250 I had the one he liked and we traded but he paid $20 for his)
spare wheels (3 $25 looking for another one locally)
80-86 window handles (working on the 80-86 door handles)
bed rail caps diamond plate (free)
cup holders (free same color too)
emblems (free)
registered
windshield and sliding rear window ($125 new installed)
fender flares (worked off from a buddy)
70s fseries ***** for wiper and headlight
timing bump to 11*BTDC
and probably more.

Next I will post pics then my list of things I want to do to the truck.
Trav

Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Ok so pics:
when I had first gotten her:
Name:  whiteLightning1988FordF1503.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  10.5 KB
when it rolled into the ditch (ladder rack is off now)
Name:  whitelightningditch2.png
Views: 296
Size:  1.14 MB
me and my truck when I was 15 (look different now)
Name:  SANY0002-2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  92.5 KB
after the house fire we had and it was so close it melted the headlight assembly which is now replaced (once again free)
Name:  WhiteLightningwithouttheladderrack1.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  166.1 KB
next to her big sister 02 F250 (me and my dad's truck) you can kinda see my dad's old truck (86 F150 4x4 302 which he traded in for a Harley and now has a 89 F250 (later to be seen)
Name:  SANY0011-2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  138.8 KB
Name:  SANY0012-1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  131.4 KB
the flares installed (before painting them)
Name:  SANY0013.jpg
Size:  44.9 KB
after putting the correct antenna back on (hated that stupid mini plastic rubber one)
Name:  Whitewithcorrectarial.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  54.0 KB
next to my dad's 86 again that is the stance I want minus I want 33s
Name:  Whitelightningfixedupandmoved4.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  118.0 KB
previous owners welded this on to the bumper have to cut it off (all surface rust)
Name:  Whitelightingbeingbuiltup12.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  71.0 KB
with my brothers 89 F350 and my dad's 89 f250 (my brother is getting a different truck soon)
Name:  TazandWhitelightningandCanadianred2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  105.3 KB
new bug deflector on:
Name:  Whitelightningandnewbugdeflector4.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  159.1 KB
this new one sits 1 1/2" lower then my old one which is better for me
Name:  Whitelightningandnewbugdeflector3.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  67.4 KB
Old one on top of new one:
Name:  Whitelightningandnewbugdeflector2.jpg
Size:  188.0 KB
with out the bug deflector hated the look:
Name:  Whitelightningandnewbugdeflector1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  91.5 KB
after painting my flares black and the tailgate letters:
Name:  B2andWhitelightningpainted7.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  83.1 KB
after cleaning her up:
Name:  WhiteLightnincleanedup1.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  111.2 KB
Name:  WhiteLightnincleanedup2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  110.3 KB
the 80-86 window handles:
Name:  WhiteLightnincleanedup4.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  44.1 KB
after getting her running her first load (some tires up the road I had grabbed)
Name:  WhiteLightninfirstloadandthrownrod1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  187.5 KB
doing some flexing the day I had all my problems (got a flat, trans wouldn't shift into 3rd (low on fluid I think and hope), and threw a rod
Name:  WhiteLightninfirstloadandthrownrod5.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  116.3 KB
me with the truck (just got my hair cut and clean shaved so look different again
Name:  WhiteLightninfirstloadandthrownrod6.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  71.8 KB
The 02 F250 pulling me home after throwing the rod:
Name:  WhiteLightninfirstloadandthrownrod7.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  53.8 KB
didn't make it into town to scrap the metal:
Name:  WhiteLightninfirstloadandthrownrod8.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  67.6 KB
after some snow:
Name:  WhiteLightninandsnow.jpg
Size:  116.3 KB
and lastly the thrown rod hole 1/2" big 1/2" from the block on drivers side toward the front of the truck.
Trav

Old 02-13-2014, 06:35 PM
I don't plan on pulling much other then my bike and some small loads. It mainly will be a daily driver. I plan to restomod it pretty much.
Ok mods to be done:
my buddy has a 302 for $100 that looks to be the best I have found so far and supposedly runs. I can't find any reasons it wouldn't. So my plan is to take this engine drop it in with my new stuff get a new oil pump and water pump and run with that and slowly save up and when I get a garage build my 302 to be one of the sweetest 302s out there. once built either wait for this one to let go or I will drop it before so I can use this one for another project.
My buddy (same guy) has a brush guard from his 90 F350 4 door for $25 it was hit by an elk so needs some welding and only one KC light. Going to get that and some new lights and call it good.
Now real mods:
bump timing again to 11 or so BTDC
tint windows
two tone the interior black and blue with some chrome
Harley Davidson floor mats and steering wheel cover
custom upholstered bench seat Harley in it with pin striping and eagle.
plug hole for gooseneck hitch and remove it
pinstripe the bug deflector
tonna cover (I know I spelled that wrong) with eagle and Harley sign inlayed in and it will be a snap tonna.
MSD dizzy cap
K&N drop in filter
MAF swap
leveling kit with 33s
chrome trim headlights painted black
Harley license plate bracket and front plate
Tach style 87-91 cluster
LED lights
smoked third brake light
VHT the taillights and turns
tons of lights
remove air deflector below
CB radio (have just need antenna going to put a stock ford antenna on the drivers side so it looks stock
chrome rear bumper or straighten rear bumper and paint it black
Summit white top with gloss black bottom then go up 1 inch do a 1inch pinstripe gloss black and go up another inch and do another 1inch pinstripe so it goes on the tailgate (the pinstripes)
aftermarket gauges with 92-97 A-pillar pod
sweet radio set up
MAP light style interior light with clear lens
True dual thrush tubes 2.5 to 3inch tip either out the back or out each side chrome tips
80-86 door handles
grab bars on the side of the cab
slide and lock tie downs (like our 02 has)
reverse camera
Overhead visor lighted
Probably more I can't think of right now. Pretty much I want some chrome some black and to keep my white color but 2 tone it. I want it to have some power (staying with 302), have decent fuel mileage (I know I won't get perfect fuel mileage with 33s and such), and be dependable daily driver.
Trav

Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Always amazed at Arizona trucks. My '79 F-100 came from your state and has less rust than my '02.

If you said, I missed it, but what are your gear ratios? If you don't know, what is the axle code on your door jam sticker. Anyway, 33's + 302 + 3.55 gears suck for acceleration. I tolerate it in this flat state of Delaware, but would not work at all where I'm from in the hills of PA.

Looks great, but ya either need at least 4.10s or a 351 to be happy with 33s.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 PM
I have 3.55LS and had 33s on my dad's 86 F150 302 with the same gears but AOD transmission and it drove fine so I am not worried about that.

EDIT: forgot to say that was before the 31s because the 33s rubbed a bit.
Trav

Last edited by redneckfordf250; 02-14-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Ok, just so you know then. I'm tolerating it myself, but I am the speeder, and I am spoiled by tuned turbo diesels.

For your info as well, your truck came as a late 87 early 88 with manual hubs from the factory. Oddball design of the so called "tophat" hubs, that while used on the ranger for 15+ years, only had that niche use of a year in the half tons. If auto hubs were ordered, it was a standard front end like any other year.

Anyway, the bad news is that no one makes them aftermarket, so if you see a set in the junkyard, snag them up in case you pop one.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 PM
I am not much of a speeder more of just want power to get to and from.
These hubs are the exact same ones on my dad's 89 f250, the 91 F250 we are getting and many others I have seen so I am kinda confused. Is that why in LMC it says Warn premium hubs aren't available for 88s and 89s? I was personally able to find them at 4wheelparts.com for 88s and 89s in Warn Premiums. My Brothers Bronco 2 (just like ranger) and my buddies ranger have totally different hubs never seen a ranger with hubs like this. I will check out the hubs tomorrow as I am pulling the right rear tire off and will have my tools out so will check it out. By the way they are manuals my dad's 86 F150 had autos and I hated them.

I would love to get a 05-07 6.0L powerstroke diesel with crew cab long bed standard transmission but I can't afford one and my dad doesn't care for diesels (in a small town hard to get fuel.)
Trav

Last edited by redneckfordf250; 02-14-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by redneckfordf250
These hubs are the exact same ones on my dad's 89 f250, the 91 F250 we are getting and many others I have seen so I am kinda confused.
No, they are different then '80-'86, '87-'88 (except ordered with auto hubs) and '89+ F-150s and Broncos. Most F-250s and F-350s are different again then the normal half tons with bigger hubs and stub shafts.

Is that why in LMC it says Warn premium hubs aren't available for 88s and 89s? I was personally able to find them at 4wheelparts.com for 88s and 89s in Warn Premiums.
Yes, unless the truck came with auto hubs, and that should be 87-88, but LMC isn't always perfect with their year listings.

I will check out the hubs tomorrow as I am pulling the right rear tire off and will have my tools out so will check it out.
Here is what you will find.

The Dana 30 TTB front end Rangers and Bronco IIs have the same setup just with a 4.5" bolt pattern. Don't know the years as I usually don't play with the toy trucks.

I would love to get a 05-07 6.0L powerstroke diesel with crew cab long bed standard transmission but I can't afford one and my dad doesn't care for diesels (in a small town hard to get fuel.)
Trav
You ever find your way to Delaware, I'll let ya hot lap the 6.4L with the ZF and you'll never want a 6.uhoh.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
No, they are different then '80-'86, '87-'88 (except ordered with auto hubs) and '89+ F-150s and Broncos. Most F-250s and F-350s are different again then the normal half tons with bigger hubs and stub shafts.

Yes, unless the truck came with auto hubs, and that should be 87-88, but LMC isn't always perfect with their year listings.

Here is what you will find.

The Dana 30 TTB front end Rangers and Bronco IIs have the same setup just with a 4.5" bolt pattern. Don't know the years as I usually don't play with the toy trucks.

You ever find your way to Delaware, I'll let ya hot lap the 6.4L with the ZF and you'll never want a 6.uhoh.

http://youtu.be/ftZS8kQHYTE

Adrianspeeder
Ok so now I see the difference between them (my 88 F150 has no screw holes and looks like my brothers 84 B2 set up minus that mine are much bigger and are 5on 5.5 my truck did come with manuals originally. so you know I believe B2s had that from 84-88 same thing with rangers (my dad and brother loves B2s and rangers and this is what my brother told me). I will have to look aftermarket again or look into converting it. Quick question not based on my f150 my dad's 89 F250 needs hubs I believe and I have a set of Mile marker hubs from a 84 F250 will those work?
I have driven a 6.4L auto before in a F450 we were going to get it but didn't like the body style, the problems I saw, and most of all the emissions crap. I hate emissions crap my 88 F150 has most of that stuff off including cat same thing with my brothers B2 and soon to be a few more of our trucks. We don't need to pass emissions where I am thankfully (defiantly hated that in Vegas and Cali where I was raised). I always liked 6.0s never cared much for others minus the 7.3IDI and 6.9L IDI with a turbo on it (almost got a couple 6.9L 87s but mama hated the red interior).

Also today should be able to get my wheel and tire on my truck and move it for the new comer back to her spot. We shall see.
Trav

Last edited by redneckfordf250; 02-15-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:04 AM
...I will have to look aftermarket again or look into converting it.
No aftermarket, which is why I said to pick up spares as you see them. I'm heavy with my right foot, so I keep a few to avoid an unplanned axle swap.

Quick question not based on my f150 my dad's 89 F250 needs hubs I believe and I have a set of Mile marker hubs from a 84 F250 will those work?
50/50 chance. F-250s in the 80s used both a Dana 44HD TTB, or a Dana 50 TTB based on the gvwr. You can visually see the difference.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
No aftermarket, which is why I said to pick up spares as you see them. I'm heavy with my right foot, so I keep a few to avoid an unplanned axle swap.

50/50 chance. F-250s in the 80s used both a Dana 44HD TTB, or a Dana 50 TTB based on the gvwr. You can visually see the difference.

Adrianspeeder
Oh ok I will have to see but I will tell you right now not many 4x4 trucks being parted around me. I had thought maybe one day to do a D44 SAS but never really went very crazy with it into looking just was a though oh that would be cool.

Both are D50 TTBs my family has never had a D44HD TTB I never cared for them all our F250s have had either the D50 ttb or somebody swapped in a D60 straight axle or it came stock. (miss the truck that is was swapped in 93 F250 4x4 super cab 460 red with gray interior ZF5 4.10 with LS D60 front F450 rear springs rust on the cab 8 mpg loaded or not it sure was one sweet truck had to sell it after the fire because fuel mileage sucked and mom didn't know how to drive standard so she got her current expedition and now wants a newer F150, a F150 centorioun, or a F250 crew short bed with 302 or 351W.

Anyways got my rear tire back on the truck from it going flat had a mud terrain 235 laying around so threw it on can't wait to get 33s and some mud terrains or meaty all terrains like the Goodyear wrangler duratracs.
Also took the black door lock ***** off and traded my brother whom had chrome ones really helps the interior (he wants a blacked out with blue paint B2 I want a mix of chrome and black on my 88 so we both won on that part). Found out how the brush guard mounts by looking at my dad's F250 and it looks simple just going to be a little fun getting it on since I made the bumper look more flush then stock (can't tell in the pics).
Trav

Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Got my engine and brush guard to the house yesterday. Once I get some parts put in it going to drop it in (probably spring time). Waiting to put the brush guard on as it might get in the way.
Trav

Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Well a few things came up since last update:
First off engine turned out to have plugs missing on one side so dirt got in the engine so I would have to rebuild the engine!
So I started pricing out building an engine vs new crate 302 it is a few more hundred dollars for a complete crate at o'rielly or autozone. So I think I am just going to turn my new engine in for a core and buy a crate. It comes with everything minus water pump, intake stuff, and the rad fan and accessories. I have almost all but will replace water pump. Now just to start saving up!
Next I went to the junkyard and picked up a tach style cluster to swap in. I have to clean it up and paint/tint the needles so they come out nice and new looking then will throw it in.
Had my neighbor check out the brush guard he said he can weld it.
Also got an airaid air filter (drop in) from my brother! Going to put it in after I clean it up a bit love them airaid drop in filters.
Trav

Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Still deciding what to do engine wise.
But did get a few updates worth something:
went to the junkyard picked up a tach style cluster since I always liked them and swaped it in after painting the needles bright red (it still is translucent.)
Also found some mirrors I had lying around and painted them black then threw them on (they sit closer to the truck, have blind spots and look nicer).
Trav
here are the pics
my shift indicator doesn't work still damn cable is broken
Name:  SANY0175.jpg
Size:  70.4 KB
Name:  SANY0168.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  103.6 KB
Name:  SANY0167.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  100.3 KB