96 F-150 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 F-150 wont start

Help!!
All of a sudden my 96 F150 wont start. Here is what I know and have tried:
Fuel pressure: both tanks are good.
No spark at all. I have replaced the coil and ignition control module (both from Autozone) and still no spark. Checked voltage at coil (in run position) and is good. Checked spark directly from the coil and nothing... I do not want to just throw additional parts at this thing and since it is stuck in my driveway it is not currently feasible to have a "professional" diagnose it. So does anyone have a suggestion on what to check next or have you had a similar problem and solved it? I am focusing on ignition because I have good fuel pressure but no ignition. Also, battery voltage is good.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like you got it narrowed down. The only thing left is the PIP sensor in the distributor. You have to disassemble the distributor to replace the PIP sensor, not an easy job. Rebuilt distributors are mostly junk. If you have an Oreilly Auto Parts store near you, they sell NEW reproduction distributors, by far the best deal in my opinion.

I assume you took the cap off the distributor and checked the rotor? Other possibilities are the large wire running from the center of the coil to the center of the distributor cap, and the small wire going from the coil to the distributor. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:34 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
When you lift the distributor cap, check both the rotor and the inside of the cap - and have someone briefly crank the engine while you look to make sure the rotor is actually turning.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solved the problem.Distributor pickup coil apparently. I ended up getting a new distributer from Autozone. I tried to disassemble the old one but too hard... need a hydraulic press. I set the timing on the new one as close as I could to the same as the old one. Started right up. Now to fine tune the timing.

Quick Reply: 96 F-150 wont start