Pre-1997 Models

Starter wont disengage

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter wont disengage

So, i got an 86 f-150 and i went to start it and it wouldnt start. So i replaced the starter and got a new solenoid. I replaced the starter first but did not change the solenoid, i started the truck and it ran fine. I decided id change the solenoid because it was recommended by the manufacturer to replace them at the same time. I changed the solenoid and it started fine the first couple of times, but now i went to start it and the starter kept cranking when i tried to turn off the ignition, so i took the ground cable off the battery and it stopped. I look at the starter to make sure i mounted it right and it looked fine so i was wondering if the solenoid is bad or if the ignition switch is screwed up.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A very simple test to find out for sure: Pull that little slip on wire off the solenoid. Now set the ground cable back on the battery post. If the engine still cranks with that little slip on wire pulled off the solenoid, the solenoid is bad. That little slip on wire is the connection from the ignition switch.

I'm betting you will find you have a bad new solenoid, seems to be a lot of them lately. Also because this just started when you replaced the solenoid.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 PM
i forgot to mention this but it sparks every time i set the ground on the battery and the post is starting to melt, i just thought id mention it in case it has something to do with problem

Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandomGuy
i forgot to mention this but it sparks every time i set the ground on the battery and the post is starting to melt, i just thought id mention it in case it has something to do with problem
Well if the starter is engaging as soon as the ground is hooked up, it will spark. I'm not sure what to say about the melting. I would get a different new solenoid or just put your old solenoid back on and see what happens from there. This is assuming the new solenoid you just got proves bad per my explanation under #2.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Ok i put the old solenoid on and it is working fine now, thanks. I have some other questions, my headlights don't work and i checked the fuse and its blown so i got a multimeter and i was wanting to know how i should use it to find a short in the circuit. I know what the functions are of the meter but i dont really know how to use them. I dont want to ruin my meter by testing something wrong.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Fuse in the panel or fuse link connection off the fender mounted relay? What fuse is blown?

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Starter wont disengage