Pre-1997 Models

Intermittent starting problem/died

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 AM
g94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Intermittent starting problem/died

My truck was running great then one day it seemed like I had to hold the key longer to get her start. Then a couple days later it took me 5 tries (I actually had my brother on his way to help when I decided to try 1 more time). She ran beautifully. This happened about 3 times to me over a week, sometimes cold sometimes not.

Then I was an idiot and left the dome light on over night, drained battery, got battery recharged at battery shop... all WAS fine for about a day. Then trying to come home 1 night it took 3 tries to start her,got her started & she immediately died, then she started and ran smoothly.

My truck is a 94 F-150 302. I have no clue if it's electrical or fuel. Suggestions on where to start? I recently ran through some Seafoam(and honestly she runs so great now that I find myself looking at the tach to make sure she's on).

Old 12-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, fastest way is the next time it cranks, but no fire. Give a snort of starting fluid in the throttle body. If she sputters on that for a second, you know you have ignition and a fuel problem.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-27-2013, 07:43 PM
g94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Well, fastest way is the next time it cranks, but no fire. Give a snort of starting fluid in the throttle body. If she sputters on that for a second, you know you have ignition and a fuel problem.

Adrianspeeder
I don't know how to do that, because she is fuel injected.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:17 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Follow the intake tube from the air filter to the throttle body. It should be fairly obvious where you can disconnect the tube from the TB temporarily to hit it with a shot.

You can test for spark with an inductive probe up against a plug wire.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by g94
I don't know how to do that, because she is fuel injected.

Super simple on a '94+ 302 since the first year with a mass air flow meter. Unhook the one hose clamp on the horizontal tube from the air filter where it connects to the two way splitter connected to the throttle body. Give it about a five second spray of starting fluid, then try to crank. Should run for a second or two off the either. No fire at all points to an igntion problem and different troubleshooting. I keep a can of spray in every one of my trucks for this reason.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting problem/died