Pre-1997 Models

Mod Suggestions- Free For All

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Mod Suggestions- Free For All

Hey everybody,

Alright, new to the forums. I haven't done a ton of modding on trucks, but done plenty to your average pc. I'm not incompetent though, as I work as a sales trainer for a mechanics shop. I just picked up a 92 F150 XLT with the 302 in her. Looking for mods to do to her. I'm looking for gas mileage, a bit more get up and go and for trail riding. I'm not a mudder, or do any rock crawling otherwise I would of got a Jeep or a older Ford.

Currently my mod list is for a K/N Cold Air Intake and a throttle body spacer. Not dead set on the TBS because I've heard mixed reviews, mostly for the sound. Its already got an aftermarket exhaust on her, upgraded A/T tires. Feel free to throw anything at me for ideas, the help is appreciated.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you try to get a picture up, so we can visualize it better? Gas mileage is probably only going to rely on your right foot unfortunately. The TBS is 99.9% just for adding to the jet noise on the intake as far as I'm concerned, so get it if that's what you want it for. It does appear, from pictures, that these would actually shrink the intake diameter too, which can't help with flow IMO. Is it 4wd or 2? I happen to think that these trucks look stellar with a 3" body lift, though that'll hurt the MPGs a little haha.

Welcome to the forum too!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the basement.

More power
Reliability
Price

Pick two, ya can't have three. Not much at all you can do to bump fuel mileage above 15 or so at all with the lil ole 302. Truck is too heavy, and moves too much air out the way.

Cold air intake = garbage that usually just sucks in hot dirty air over the stock airbox that actually pulls in cooler outside air. The throttle body is heated by a coolant loop anyway. TBI spacer does nothing other than make the manufacturer money. K&N = garbage on diesels with letting too much dirt through, to "flow better", and dusts turbos, so I don't use them on gas engines for the same reason.

Basic tune up with motorcraft copper plugs only, good wires, verify no codes hiding problems without a check engine light, (here's how http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13), and start savin' money for a supercharger if you want to go fast.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Attempting to make power with a 302 is like trying to race a mule. It ain't gonna happen. I'd suggest finding a complete junker that has a 460 in it and buying the entire donor truck. Put the 460 in yer truck and take the rest across the scales. The 460 can be made to run and with the right chip, can be made to run fairly efficient....but at the cost of some power. To make power, ya gotta burn the gas.

Quick Reply: Mod Suggestions- Free For All