Pre-1997 Models

Electronic 4x4 won't disengage from 4low

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic 4x4 won't disengage from 4low

Hey guys I have a 95 f150 with the electronic shift transfer case and I was camping during the monsoons and got stuck in 2wd so I went to put it in 4low and It didn't want to engage finally it engaged. Then I went to take it out of 4low and nothing would happen I push the 4wd button and it wouldn't even click from behind the glove box like it used to and the lights just blink. I finally had to unbolt the electric motor do it manually. I got the truck home and connected the electric motor and it's still doing the same thing. Has anybody had this kind of problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Foot on brake in neutral, not park, with working brake lights?

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Yes the truck is in neutral and my foot is on the brake and the brake lights are on and still does the same thing

Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Ok, it has been a year or so since I fooled with one, but there is a reset/test button on the side of the computer. Take off the passenger side kick panel below the glove box, and check that out.

Usually it is the motor that dies, and the haynes manual has the wiring diagram troubleshooting chart for what you should have with opens/closed for each gear selection position.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Ok, it has been a year or so since I fooled with one, but there is a reset/test button on the side of the computer. Take off the passenger side kick panel below the glove box, and check that out.

Usually it is the motor that dies, and the haynes manual has the wiring diagram troubleshooting chart for what you should have with opens/closed for each gear selection position.

Adrianspeeder
Ok I'll check that out and see what I can find thanks for the info

Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM
I try all these techniques, sift in D, then in N, so on. What works when nothing else does is to tap with a hammer on the low shift gear housing, between the round black shift motor and the transmission on the drivers side. Sometimes it takes twice but this always works for me. I don't hit it hard, just tap, tap, tap. It just jar loose the stuck gears.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know about the 95s but the 2010 like mine have a KNOWN tendency for the HI-Lo shifting motor and mechanism to stick. You can often break them loose by tapping on the shift motor cover or taking it off the X-fer case and working it loose by hand but BEWARE that the aluminium housing is very thin. Don't hit it hard or you could break it. I posted about this awhile back, I'll see if I can find it and add a link.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Here you go <https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/511271-4lo-did-t-engage.html>

Quick Reply: Electronic 4x4 won't disengage from 4low