Pre-1997 Models

TFI module question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFI module question.

Hello, I just replaced my TFI module and I'm afraid I may have put in a bad one. I tested the old one, everything checked out except for ohms between ground and pip in. It's supposed to be greater than 500 ohms. The meter told me it's OL. I had a distributer I scavenged off of a vehicle destined for scrap, pulled and tested that TFI, same results. I ordered a new TFI from my friendly neighborhood parts chain, tested it before I left the store, and got the same results. I took it and threw it in anyway, figuring it's not that hard to replace, and I can do it at some point in the near future once I figure out what's going on. (My main concern was pulling the distributer, and replacing the stator, which I did. Don't wanna be doing that in the cold). Just about everything I'm reading says that if the TFI's messed up, you're not going anywhere. Any thoughts from anybody on this? The truck is running fine after the replacement, timings off, I need to figure out where my mark is, but other than that, it's good. Thanks, Peace, Dave.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little bit of an update on this, when you go to check for ohms greater than 500, make sure your tester is capable of measuring over 500 ohms. Doh! Peace, Dave.

Quick Reply: TFI module question.