Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Issues, '88 F150 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Issues, '88 F150 EFI

Hello,

I have an '88 F-150 5.0 with EFI. I think I have a strange issue with this truck but I may just be crazy. This truck was given to me with a newer motor and trans (5,000ish miles) but it had been sitting for 3 years. With that, I replaced a few things to get it running, i.e. battery and a few other electrical parts that were corroded. Fired up and idled great but when a load was placed on it would sputter then stall. Through my mechanical knowledge I thought fuel filter and pumps would be bad, since it was sitting for so long. Replaced filter and front tank pump but didn't fix problem. Then started research and found that TFI could be the problem. Replaced it and the issue was solved, for a while but then started sputtering and stalling again. Hooked up fuel pressure tester and was getting proper pressure, 42psi, to the rail but would drop when stalling. So I thought high pressure pump was bad, since I had already replaced the in tank pump. I then replaced that and put a new filter on as well. The problem, I thought, was solved. Now it seems that when it is hot outside, I need to turn the truck off at stop lights and start back up so it won't stall, but when it is cooler outside the truck runs great. I'm a bit baffled by the problem. Could it be the fuel or cooling problem. Any suggestions would be great. Thank You.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should get a water temp gauge mount inside the truck but most likely it fuel related. Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator maybe its bad?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the basement. Secondly, stop throwing parts without troubleshooting. That just adds variables to putting on new things that usually are crappier than the old stock parts.

Step one, pull any OBD1 codes even if your check engine light isn't on, and post what you find. If you don't know how, http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13

I would first suspect a throttle position sensor, but that can be checked before blindly replacing, and then secondly a fuel pressure regulator. If you already have a fuel pressure gauge that is easy to test as well.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Fuel Issues, '88 F150 EFI