Pre-1997 Models

1994 f150 running rich and blowing smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 f150 running rich and blowing smoke

I'm in over my head with this thing. I bought a 1994 F150 302 fuel injected as a project. It ran ok at first, but would idle high, occasionally lose power going down the road and burn some gas (light black smoke). I cleared all the codes (cant remeber them) by replacing the EGR valve, plugs, wires, neutral safety switch, pcv, and cleaned the throttle plate. Power seemed better, but I was still burning gas. I checked the fuel pressure at the rail and it was almost 70, so I figured the FPR was bad. Saw fuel in the vacuum line so I picked up one at autozone. After I put in the new FPR it ran better than ever....for 3 days. That's when the smoke came. When I finally got it to crank a white/grey smoke was shooting out of the exhaust. Thinking the worst, I got out and it smelled of straight gas. I checked my plugs they were all black and wet. After I took them out I turned it over once and fuel shot out, with some force, of the cylinder closest to the FPR. I thought the inject might be stuck open so I replaced it with a remanufactured one. Same issue. That's where I am now. I also put the old FPR back on...no change. Any ideas. This was supposed to be a hobby to tinker with occasionally while I drank some beers. Instead my beers are getting hot while I'm working up a sweat.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
New computer came in this morning. Installed and no change. What else could the problem be? I'm running out of ideas....

Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is a shot in the dark, but.......Does the fuel system have a return line going back to the fuel tank? If so check it for kinks or blockage. I thought that the fuel pressure was supposed to be quite a bit lower than what you are reading. I could be wrong on that being it is a 94 and some of the earlier fuel injection ran pretty high pressure.

Hope you get it......it would be a shame to see all those beers go to waste!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks jgger, the new FPR I installed just bit the dust. It's shooting gas out the top with the vacuum line detached. I was wondering if a blocked return line could blow out a FPR?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 PM
That doesn't sound good!

I think a check of the return line is in order now. If it can't handle the extra gas, it has to go somewhere.

Hope someone else chimes in soon cuz I kinda guessing.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Blake, I was thinking that there is also some kind of bypass on the fuel pump itself. If so that might also be the issue........still guessing!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 PM
I replaced the FPR...Now instead of smoke I have tick after it warms up(30-45 mins at idle). Guess all the gas in my oil washed out my bearings. Looks like I get to rebuild the bottom end. Anyone know where I can get a good crank kit? Pump? Anything else I should do while the motors out?

Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Bottom ends don't tick, they clunk. You sure it's not just a collapsed lifter? Have you changed the oil?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Tick's coming from the top. Bearings are at the bottom.

It doesn't make a noise until it warms up. Oil pressure is around 25-30 psi at crank then drops to 6 when it heats up.

If a lifter collapsed wouldn't it make noise as soon as I started it?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
That oil pressure is much too low.

Again, have you changed your oil?

Old 08-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I changed the oil/filter just after I replaced the FPR. It would run for about 15 mins and start ticking. Thinking my bearing were dried out from all the gas previously in the oil (I drained almost 10 quarts, so a lot of gas was mixed in), I added Lucas to see if it would correct the issue. It didnt stop it, but with now it takes around 45 mins to make a noise. I noticed my oil pressure gauge wasnt moving, so I pull in a mechanical gauge. That's when I saw how low my oil pressure was and got me thinking my main bearings were the culprit.

Quick Reply: 1994 f150 running rich and blowing smoke