Pre-1997 Models

Chipping and throttle plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chipping and throttle plates

Has anyone had any experience with G Force chips? http://www.gfchips.com/

I've read some on these after market spacer plates that claim to give better perfomance numbers as well. Although there is plenty of testimonials from customers who say they don't work. Anyone care to comment?

I have a fresh 4.9l that I just dropped in with a Comp cam (260H) and springs (903-12) set. I looked all over the net for better pipes and larger throttle body, but came up empty. The only info I could find that seems relative is to replace the exhaust end to end. So again if anyone has done swaps I would be grateful for your input. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 PM
From their website: "The GF module installs into your FORD F150's engine bay and is connected via 2 wires that plug into the IAT sensor."

That means that their "chip" is probably just a resistor that alters the output signal of the IAT sensor and makes the PCM think the ambient air temperature is cooler than it actually is. You could probably replicate it for less than $5 at Radio Shack. If you did it still would not produce the sorts of numbers they are claiming are possible, but you probably could fail to pass emissions testing.

As for the throttle body spacers, there is nothing, absolutely nothing that you can stick into a ducted airstream that is going to increase the flow of that airstream, you are almost certain to create a pressure drop which will lessen the flow. Their BS about increasing the turbulence might make some sense in a carbureted vehicle but with a dry-flow EFI manifold there is no fuel to atomize or to keep in suspension.
T/B spacers make nice paperweights.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Ya, I was under the impression that it was a nice looking shiny over priced box. I read somewhere online that it's possible to re-flash the PCM with better curves. Any thoughts on that?
Spinning dry air after the throttle plate didn't make much sense to me either. But what about a wider thottle body? I found one somewhere on line that was 61mm's. But I forgot to measure mine before I bolted it back on. I never checked to see if the plenum can be ported to match either. Anyone know what the size is and are they concentric on both sides of the throttle plates?
This is probably going to sound hilarious but has anyone ever heard of someone blowing air passed the maf before? I guess you would have to install a maf by-pass circuit if it had a chance of working.

Last edited by Islandbuoy; 05-26-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Your T/B is 44mm. A couple of people have adapted the 50mm T/B from a 302/351 to a 4.9. It is a long way from a bolt-on, the linkage operates differently and the ports in the intake don't match so you need to fab up a spacer (not one of those silly swirly things just a straight taper.) They have reported no gains in performance. It would seem that the T/B is not the the limiting factor in the intake system of a 4.9.

If you bypass the MAF, the engine will run grossly lean and you'll likely burn up some valves or a possibly a piston or two.

If you want to get your 4.9 to breathe better, you need to do some head work: pocket port the valve bowls, profile and reduce the valve guide bosses, polish and CC the chambers and do a 3 angle valve job with back-cut intakes . The actual ports require little or no work other than cleaning up the port to bowl transitions.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Islandbuoy
Has anyone had any experience with G Force chips? http://www.gfchips.com/

I've read some on these after market spacer plates that claim to give better perfomance numbers as well. Although there is plenty of testimonials from customers who say they don't work. Anyone care to comment?

I have a fresh 4.9l that I just dropped in with a Comp cam (260H) and springs (903-12) set. I looked all over the net for better pipes and larger throttle body, but came up empty. The only info I could find that seems relative is to replace the exhaust end to end. So again if anyone has done swaps I would be grateful for your input. Thanks.

You would probably be better off getting a chip from JET performance it plugs into the back of the computer and only operatates a WOT or probably for about the same time reprogram the computer. I had one in my truck (302) but sold it when I got a xustom tune for all my mods

Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Price* not time

Quick Reply: Chipping and throttle plates