Pre-1997 Models

Negative ground battery cable

Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negative ground battery cable

I have a 93 F-150 with the 5.0l engine. I have had ongoing problems with the negative battery cable due to corrosion. I have cleaned the terminal ends and sometimes this will allow the engine to start. Right now all I get is a click when I engage the starter.

My question is how hard is it to replace the whole cable. I cannot see where it ends under the engine and if it is easily replaced. This is the original cable and is almost 20 yrs old. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

santiago

Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 AM
It's a 10 minute job.
The problem is probably the intermediate ground point where it grounds to the frame rail just above the wheel well. It corrodes out there pretty badly.

The solution is NOT to replace the cable with the OEM design but rather to buy 2 cables. You need 1 which is the same overall length as the original with a battery terminal clamp on one end and an eye on the other. Run it from the battery to the ground point on the starter flange.

The second cable runs from the starter flange up to the intermediate chassis ground. You can get the length by measuring those two points on the OEM cable.

I did this years ago after replacing my OEM cable twice and have had no issues since.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 AM
StrangeRanger,

Thanks for the advice.

santiago

Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Call me overkill, but with grounding there can never be too much. On my rigs I make a triangle from the battery, to the block, to the frame, and back. Don't forget to make sure the two 10gauge wires that go for the harness are tied in properly as well.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Hey StrangeRanger, I went clamp (from batt), to eye (to frame). Then eye (frame) to eye (starter). I kinda like your idea better, though, that's a straight shot to the starter. adrian speeder, I know of one 10 gauge right off the battery, where is the second? santiago, good luck, you'll get alot of god advice on this site. Peace, Dave.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Negative ground battery cable