Pre-1997 Models

worn rear end? (96 supercab 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
worn rear end? (96 supercab 4x4)

I was looking for a "squak-squeak" noise (u-joints I think), and I noticed alot of slop (and a leak) where the drive shaft connects to the differential. I posted a short video clip on flickr. Could someone diagnose? What's involved in the repair?
1996 F150 Supercab 4x4
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cocojen...7630776635096/

Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM
That wobble is your pinion shaft. This is a very, very bad thing.

Worst case scenario:
You've torn up the ring and pinion and scattered torn up bits of metal everywhere in which case you'll need to do a complete overhaul of the rear end.

Best case scenario:
There is no crucial damage. You need new pinion bearings, a new pinion seal and pinon lock nut.

No way to tell how extensive the damage is until you get it apart.

Don't drive it in the meantime, you're begging for a catastrophic failure.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks, crappy news but hopefully caught in time to prevent major bad.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Any way to tell if the bearings are toast? Rumble I suppose? I'm pretty sure the seal needs to be replaced, but from what I've seen it is not a tough job. I am unable to "count threads" or mark the pinion nut orientation (so as to get the nut back exactly as it came off) since apparently the nut has backed off from where it was originally. Can I not just re-install it with locktite, and torque to 150 ft/lbs or so? I figure the crush sleeve is already properly crushed, and would probably take on the order of alot more than 150 pounds to crush it any further.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
You need a new nut and crush sleeve, no matter what.
You'll have to pull the carrier to get the pinion bearings out for inspection. Do not mix up the side shim packs for the carrier. It is critical that they go back in the same sides they came out of.
When you tear it apart and inspect it look at the gears. If they are torn up the whole thing is FUBAR and you need to clean the housing out and replace all the service parts. If the gears are 100% OK, clean and inspect the pinion bearings. If there is ANY sign of wear replace them, if they're OK you can reuse them. Since you're going to have the rear end completely torn down, replace the axle seals even if they don't need it.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Ok thanks. Won't be getting to it for a while, but will post back on progress when it happens.

Quick Reply: worn rear end? (96 supercab 4x4)