Pre-1997 Models

91 F150 starting probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 F150 starting probs

A new battery seemed to fix it, but the next day nothing. It clicks 2-3 times then completely loses all power. I put a charger on, no help. Checked across the Solenoid, That didn't help. KINDA thinking bad ground. Anyone concur with that? I don't have time now to look, will check when I get back from a meeting today.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Bad ground.
The ground cable on these trucks is a known problem area. It corrodes out at the intermediate ground point on top of the frame rail. The fix is to run 2 ground cables: one from the battery all the way down to the ground point on the starter mounting flange, and a second one from the starter flange up to the frame ground.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
Bad ground.
The ground cable on these trucks is a known problem area. It corrodes out at the intermediate ground point on top of the frame rail. The fix is to run 2 ground cables: one from the battery all the way down to the ground point on the starter mounting flange, and a second one from the starter flange up to the frame ground.
Thanks SR, I bought me some ground cable. Jumped under the truck thinking I'd knock this out easy, OH NO!!! haha First it was dark and the light I had was weak. The mosquitos didn't help me much. And reaching the Starter from the bottom is no easier than the top. GESH!! haha.

BUt I did try to trace it from Solenoid to Starter, and it seemed to be one continuous wire. I didn't see this Intermediate point. And, the existing cable sure looks REALLY GOOD. I wonder if the Starter just craped the bed?

Well, I guess this will be for another day, I'm tired and it's late.

Thanks again
Ron

Quick Reply: 91 F150 starting probs