Pre-1997 Models

Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine Problems

So I bought a 1996 F150 XL 4.9L I6... It ran good for about 3-4 weeks minus the slipping transmission.

Well, long story short, I hopped a one and a half foot curb and thats when the trouble began. I turned my truck off when I got where I was going. When I went to start it back up I had to spend 40 minutes to get it to start.

It was about 109degrees this day.

It sounded like it wanted to turn over but wasn't getting enough gas. Then when I was going down the highway I couldn't get above 35mph unless I was going downhill. First and second gear seemed to be the problems cause once I got to 50mph I could accelerate to 80mpg no problem.

So once I got back to my part of town I went and got one of those check engine scanners and hooked it up.

These were the results:
System Too Lean (Bank 1)
Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
02 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
System Too Lean (Bank 2)
Crankshaft Position Sensor B Circuit.
There was also another couple sensors but the first time I didn't write down what was wrong. I deleted all the information to see what would pop back up after driving it.

So I spent another 10 minutes trying to get it to turn over and left the auto store. I let my truck sit for a day and when I went to start it up it started up fine and drove fine.

But I decided to get it looked at so I made an appointment for this Thursday.

Then I went back to get the Check Engine Scanner and hooked it back up after driving it around a bit.

These were the errors two days after the initial trouble:
System Too Lean (Bank 1)
Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
02 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
System Too Lean (Bank 2)
Crankshaft Position Sensor B Circuit

The other sensor trips didn't pop back up but they were something along the lines of (Letter)##S21, (Letter)##S22, (Letter)##S10, (Letter)##S11 - all in that order on the scanner.

I understand System Too Lean means I'm not getting enough gas, could be a leaky intake or something else.

The Cylinder misfires could be a result from faulty spark plugs, bad/crack distributor cap, and/or a bad distriputor rotor.

I can't locate the Crankshaft Sensor to check if it came loose when I hopped the curb. But this could also be a result of the magnet slipping on the inside and I don't know how to check that.

The Heater Circuit I'm not too worried about right now. Mainly I want to fix the misfires and system too lean right now.

Now for my questions: What do you think the best way to go about fixing all these problems were. I assumed getting it looked at by a mechanic would be a good step first so he can tell me whats wrong. I was thinking about changing the spark plugs and distriputor cap and rotor but was wondering if I should wait till after the mechanic looks at it. Also, anything else helpful or any other suggestions are welcome. Its driving fine right now... but I'm worried to drive it for making things worse.

TL;DR Cylinder 1 and 2 Misfiring, System Too Lean, and Crankshaft Position B Sensor are all tripping when I hook up the check engine scanner. Any suggestions to fix it?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Sir_Duulicious; 07-10-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome. I'd edit your post to say 4.9L I6 before the inline guys throw a fit sayin' it ain't a V6.

Well ya got quite a mishmash of things goin' on, and yes something could have been knocked loose, but that will be a tough one to find. But then again I've jumped beaters more than only a foot or two no problems either.

I'd start pullin' wild cards of a broken ground, low fuel pressure, or jumped timing.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Engine Problems