Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Problem. Ford 1993 f-150. Start, runs. Turn off, Won't restart.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Problem. Ford 1993 f-150. Start, runs. Turn off, Won't restart.

Hi all, I need some help. I have a 1993 Ford F-150. Truck will start and run as long as you want, but does have hesitation when hitting gas. Sounds fine when pressing on gas peddle gently though. Turn off truck, try to restart, engine just cranks. Try to start with gas peddle to floor, engine starts up very poorly(sputtering). I keep holding gas and the sputtering finally clears up. Won't idle until holdling gas on for about a minute. Then the truck will idle, go to put into gear, stalls out. Really sounds like a fuel starving issue. Also if you let the truck sit for a few hours, it will start back up and idle without holding gas. When I bought the truck it started up fine and ran fine, no hesitation with gas. Past 3 weeks has gotten progressively worse. The truck sat for 3 years before I bought it, previous owner left it set with no gas in tanks(very little in rear tank,less than quarter). Any possibility something got kicked up into the fuel lines?

The front tank does not work at all, added 5 gallons to it still wont work, been using rear tank, but now i have this problem. I replaced the fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator. Checked distributer for spark and do have spark. Really leaning towards fuel issue. Help!

Here's an attached video,

Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 PM
It might help if you told us WHICH ENGINE AND TRANNNY you have.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
It might help if you told us WHICH ENGINE AND TRANNNY you have.
sorry, kinda forgot that didn't I? Its a 5.0 302 with a AOD trans.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by MrLittleSmall
sorry, kinda forgot that didn't I? Its a 5.0 302 with a AOD trans.
its your fuel filter. it wasnt properly installed or it got messed up.i just had mine replaced (twice)once by me, then by pepboys (lols- i know), after it sitting in the garage for a couple years, i never started it, it was a bad tranny, just never got around to replacing it...thought i would trade it...

Finally, couple months ago, i got it out...fixed the tranny, wanted to sell her,
but then puttering, sluggish gas response, it would stall, or shutoff and not start...at around 1500RPM it had a hard time as well.

had my mechanic check it out...

Sure enough, that Fuel Filter was soooo nasty...he was surprised it still ran as long as it did...i just shrugged and said its a Ford.

So, yea, CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER! probably check your pump relay and anything else with fuel.

When your done, Buy some SEAFOAM
pour it in your tube that runs from brake booster to engine, pour it in that line, its a vacuum line, it will start to stall, let it.
pour the rest in your FUEL TANK (Should be about a 1/4 left) if not, not big deal,just buy some fuel cleaner stuff for the gas tank
after it stalls, wait 15-20minutes.

..then start it, it will spew out WHITE smoke, HEAVY white smoke, all the carbon build up and crap, that your Fuel Filter let pass through...
just let it run till it doesn spew out smoke, i usually Floor it.

wait a couple weeks and pour some more seafoam in there...or not, up to you.

Now my truck runs like a boss...302
( i have a 69 grande 302 bored 60 over...)

have fun...oh yea, i never sold her...i kept her.

My truck
1993 F150- FlareSide XLT - Dual Tanks
engine: 302 V8 5.0

Last edited by 302Flareside; 08-03-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Problem. Ford 1993 f-150. Start, runs. Turn off, Won't restart.