Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Pre-1997 Models

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM
1995 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 95 Ford F150
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/chuck-covington/21/a98/5b3
Auto Shift Linkage Adjustment

I recently started having the problem where my 95 F150 4X4 Auto E40D won't start in park. I had to shift it into neutral and it would fire right up. After about a week I noticed it would shift correctly and felt sluggish like it was in too high a gear. So I did a little reading and figured it was the MLPS/TR Sensor/Neutral Safety Switch was the problem. So I ordered a new Motorcraft part. It looks exactly like the old one, pins and everything. I put the truck in neutral, lined up the lines and tried to put the metal control arm back on. It didn't line up. Perhaps that was the problem all along. I'm assuming the control arm has to fall into place with no pressure front or back correct? How do I adjust it? At the steering column in the truck or at the transmission? I looked at the transmission end and I didn't see a way to adjust it.

MLPS Part is f5az7a247aa.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1993 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to Optika1 illushu
Where does the indicator show on the guage panel when its in park?

2006 F-150 FX4 4x4
- 5.4/4R100 Silver/DSG

1988 F-350 Custom 4x4
- 7.3 IDI NA/ZF5
Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 AM
1995 Ford F-150

Neutral. The control arm is close to fitting. It's just a little off so I wonder if its pushing the switch just enough to trip it. With the old switch I had to shift into neutral to start. Now I have to shift into neutral and pull the shift lever toward me. I did check when I started it and shifted into reverse to see if the reverse lights were on and they were.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 PM
1995 Ford F-150

I hate posts that have the same question I have but there is no conclusion to the problem.

So my problem is fixed now. It turned out to be the two bolts holding the shift cable under the front dash. Yes, there is a lot of write ups out there but I read them after I bought the neutral safety switch. I'm beating my head for not searching the forums and net more before jumping to purchase new parts. One bolt was loose, the other was about to fall out. Stupid stupid stupid.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 11 FULLsize ole' Ford rigs
Send a message via AIM to adrianspeeder Send a message via MSN to adrianspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to adrianspeeder
Sorry I missed that one buddy, easy fix like you found with the two torqx screws. I'd pull em out one at a time and put a dab locktite on 'em.

Adrianspeeder
Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 PM
1995 Ford F-150

No worries man. The information was out there I just didn't look hard enough. Live and learn.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 PM