Pre-1997 Models

Starter Actuator Reinstallation

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Actuator Reinstallation

Hi everyone,

My *new* 1989 Ford F-150, had a broken starter actuator. I disassembled much of the steering column, took out the old, broken actuator, picked up a new one at the auto parts store for $10... this is going great.

Until...

I've run into a problem installing the new one. The arm which runs into the steering column (and locks the automatic transmission lever from shifting with the key unturned) is too long to put back into it's channel (the tilting part of the steering column gets in the way).

Is there a trick to this? I've searched online (including this forum) but didn't find a good answer.

I'd like to do this without cutting the actuator (and thus losing the shift lock), but that's the only solution I've found. (I assume I can take more of the steering column apart, but Chilton doesn't tell me how to do this, nor have I seen that online. It doesn't seem like a fun job either way.)

I've attached a picture so you can see the problem. I hope someone out there knows a good trick. (I have tried various tilt positions, to no avail.)

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/khi8e

The black part of the steering column which you see in the foreground, prevents me from inserting the actuator arm straight on.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Going to COPY this to Pre-97 to attempt to help you get some answers...

Quick Reply: Starter Actuator Reinstallation