Pre-1997 Models

Strange electrical problem

Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange electrical problem

i just bought a 1995 5.0 2WD. Power locks were not working so i checked the fuse, no fuse was there! i installed the correct fuse. Now locks work, and my headlights wont turn off, and the theft light keeps flashing and the chimes keep ringing. Pulling the fuse makes the chimes stop and lights turn off. Otherwise lights work normally. I am stumped.

If it helps, the prior owner installed an aftermarket head unit. i have not pulled it to see if he did anything funky with the wiring.

Thanks for any input

Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
First howdy and welcome to the basement of the forum.

Anyway, the power locks if I remember right are run with a circuit breaker, not a fuse. Secondly, I can think of two things that could cause yer problem. Either there is a bad ground somewhere on the affected circuits causing a feedback of power through the power lock feed, or more likely there is an aftermarket hacked in car alarm system under yer dash. Take a peek under there and remove anything that doesn't look legit, and splice the Ford wiring back together.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks , I pulled the after market radio, the wiring looked fine, could not detect ant shorts.
I guess it's one of those gremlins that I will have to trace to find th source of

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange electrical problem