Pre-1997 Models

i need help with my 1992 f150< its driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation i need help with my 1992 f150< its driving me crazy

I have a 1992 f150 xlt 5.8l efi 351. im new to working on cars im 21 and i love learning about trucks im attending school in the fall for a few automotive classes so i can join the marines, and i want my truck to last till then, anyways im from north carolina and i recently drove to ohio to visit friends and droveback last week ever since then i have had problems with my truck over heating and i knew my coolant was leaking cause i could see it, i didnt want to try all that mix to put in my radiator to seal the leak cause personally i dont think it works with my past experiences, but i changed the clamps on all the hoses but still same problem, i cant afford to keep putting antifreeze in at this point, i noticed that the radiator fan pulley has a hole which appeared to have a plug at one point and i can tell that where the leak is coming from. i have looked all over the internet and asked my friends if they knew but no luck, i figured i would come here, where i have gotten many answers with my truck problems. and i dont have a blown head gasket i have had it checked and my oil is fine and i changed my plugs and everything looked fine.please help me im bout to lose it

Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1992f150man
I have a 1992 f150 xlt 5.8l efi 351. im new to working on cars im 21 and i love learning about trucks im attending school in the fall for a few automotive classes so i can join the marines, and i want my truck to last till then, anyways im from north carolina and i recently drove to ohio to visit friends and droveback last week ever since then i have had problems with my truck over heating and i knew my coolant was leaking cause i could see it, i didnt want to try all that mix to put in my radiator to seal the leak cause personally i dont think it works with my past experiences, but i changed the clamps on all the hoses but still same problem, i cant afford to keep putting antifreeze in at this point, i noticed that the radiator fan pulley has a hole which appeared to have a plug at one point and i can tell that where the leak is coming from.
Are you talking about the weep hole in the water pump? Does it only overheat when you get low on coolant?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 AM
i know the weep hole allows you to know when your water pump seal has failed, im used to working on a front wheel drive where the positions are different. but i never saw anything like it till i started working on this truck, but yea it only over heats when im low, i get out of the truck and i see it drip little by little. i know its coming from that hole, is the water pump connected to the fan?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the fan connects to the water pump and operates on the water pump bearing. It sounds like you need a new water pump

Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 AM
alright thanks, i had to replace the water pump on my 94 taurus which was a pain 3 bolts broke off in the process so i had to tap em out but i have a whole lot more room with this fix

Old 03-23-2012, 04:33 AM
use pb blaster on the bolts. Look at the lower "weap" hole on the waterpump to see if it's leaking. If it's not leaking from there the water pump is good.

Get a pressure tester, fill up your coolant, and test the system for leaks.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x2 on the pb blaster. douche the bolts a few times throughout the day. they tap them with a hammer a few times before you pull the bolts. makes things a MILLION times better.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM
thanks guys, pb blaster sprayed every 30 min for 3 hours they came out nice, bearings were bad on the pump, put the new one on no leaks pressure test was nice.

Quick Reply: i need help with my 1992 f150< its driving me crazy