Pre-1997 Models

93 F150 brakes falling apart

Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
93 F150 brakes falling apart

so that's what the guy at schwab told me today and handed me a 4" chunk of pad. Anyway, I may want to ask someone on craigslist who advertises as a 22 yrs certified experience mechanic to do this work for me. My question is what are the tools that he needs to do this job right? Anything else I need to ask him besides warranty work ect..

i tried launching my boat and my emergency break isn't working. I bought this truck used about 3 weeks ago. the ad said new breaks and it's a good looking truck with 33's new front end work done. new motor, grill, headlights (HID) bearings bushings, but i dont have 200.00 and if a drum is needed there is another 200.00

30.00 per hr is his rates. I would appreciate any help with this. I would attempt it but i'm no mechanic and i don't have the tools. thanks.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What u describe to me sounds like cheap brake pads were used in the front. Probably the lowest grade from a local parts store, and i found out the bonding material to glue the friction material to the backing plate is junk. But i also had this happen on two sets of Wagner premium pads so it may just be quality control. Either that or i also seen heavy heat loads tear brake pads apart.

If the job is simple chaning the brake pads then its rather simple and i would suggest trying it urself. As long as u have a floor jack, jack stand and some basic hand tools u can do this urself in about an hr start to finish while enjoying a cold beverage. But the basic tools, aside from the jack n stand, would be a large screw driver, c-clamp, small hammer and a little pateince.

As for the parking brake, how far does the prking brake pedal go down when its applied? If it goes down almost or to the floor the rear adjsuters may need to be tightened up. Rather simple job to do urself, about as hard as chaning brake pads. Other items of concern would be a frozen parking brake cable or a bound up slack adjsuter. Also while u are checking the pedal, see if both parking brake cables are tought and even.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:26 PM
thanks very much. the kid who sold me the truck is gonna replace the pads no charge. I'll ask him about the issues you mentioned. If the thickness of the pad piece means anything it is about 1/4 thick. i live in a crappy apt. don't even have a jack for this thing much less a crawler. maybe i can get him to get a better grade of pad because when he told me to bring it over this weekend that he can get the pads cheap. like $33.00 each. no wonder maybe.

but if i'm launching a boat at the ramp, does better grade pads make a difference as far as holding the boat at the ramp? Usually the boat is already in the water so not a terrible amount of stress is on the breaks. thanks again.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 AM
breaks A OK

took the truck to the nice kid Sunday, we drove to the auto store and he bought a set of Wagners. He installed them and his pops helped him work the e brake system doing a tire spin and you listen to the clicker..He also had already installed a rear locker on the truck so i'm all good to go. His dad taught him a lot. They know what they are doing and it's the reason why i bought the truck from him in the first place. gonna be launching my boat in peace now. thanks again opti.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Click my black Bronco in my signature and read the captions in the Brakes & Hubs album.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 AM
dog gone it Steve, you guys are genius's. your so far above my pea brain it's a joke. you guys have a great career and don't ever quit. your gonna save yourselves thousands possibly a million over the course of your lives. sorry but i'm not a mechanic like most on here. i dont have the tools and even though i have a repair manual, i would just be lost. Thank you.

Last edited by grizzeyes; 03-26-2012 at 05:13 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 F150 brakes falling apart