Pre-1997 Models

timing jumpy

Old 03-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing jumpy

Hi all, i have a 95 f150 5.0 automatic, timing is set at 10 deg. with spout out rev engine timing light flashes faster like it will timing stays the same (spout out) plug spout in and you can hear difference and timing goes to 20-25 like it should but when i rev it up and hold it at 2,000 rpm the timing light blinks erraticly stops blinking at times and when let it idle back down the light goes back to blinking normal like it should (only with the spout in does it do this) with it out it runs smooth with it in it idles a little rough. when you take it for a ride up a mountain it is lazy then it seems as if your flipping a switch it runs really well let off the throttle and get back on it it does the same thing drivig along on the flat and you push the throttle down to go alittle faster it picks up slow for a sec or two then feels like your flipping a switch again and it goes like a totally different truck. now take it for a ride with the spout out it is lazy all the time so that shows that the computer is not advancing the timing like it should and why the delay in advance when you step on the throttle.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 PM
hey man I am gonna keep checking this post, I have the same exact problem! not with the timing light thing, mine seems to time fine. but it also comes with spark knock or valve chatter under hard acceleration...... replaced and checked pretty much everything under the sun. but the on off thing like its stuck then opens up is the same.. code scanner just says insufficient rpm change when accelerating or whatever, cant remember the exact code. gonna chase down all the vaccum lines this weekend, see if that reveals anything. I will post that info if nessasary.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 AM
alright, had to time the engine down to 0 degrees, or tdc with the spout out. now it runs great. I dont know why that is so but it is, and all this time I was doing 10 before tdc like every damn thing says to do, so WHATEVER, it is what it is....

Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Read this caption:

Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 PM
engine only runs "ok" now timed down to 7-8 before tdc. still seems like it downshifts and wants to chug because of the low timing setting.. if timing is set at 10 btdc it spark knocks if u look at the gas peddle like your gonna push it. I am lost, really havent lost hope though. I just know that it is getting me to work. this all started after the new distributor installation a while back steve83....... I scanned over that info you posted, but Im not sure i understand what it is saying....

Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 AM
STEVE83 ...If I took out my (broken) factory installed distributor and installed an aftermarket one that may not be the same(gray), how would I know if it is a gray distributor and what steps would I take to properly install it? Or do I go back to a black or exact match from what came from the factory to find out if this is the spark knock/timing issues Im having? Im really trying to understand the info you posted from supermotors, which is incredibly awsome.... This all started with my distributor problem and the new install. Im missing a step I am betting, dont know if its unplugging the start wire with the key on or what!...... I do know this... All that I have replaced and all I have done to the truck trying to fix the problem, the truck is going to run like a beast when I find the spark knock problem! I mean TOUGH. I am really waiting on that day.... You seem to know alot....So what do you think man???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing jumpy