Pre-1997 Models

Torque converter noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter noise

Hello, New to the forum. I think my TC is making a clunking noise. I would like to try and isolate the noise. I was wondering if the TC could be unbolted and slid back from the flex plate to allow me to start the truck and eliminate the TC from the equation. Thanks in advance.
Craig

Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 AM
u can unbolt it i forget if it 3 or 4 bolts aftr u tak the inspection plate off. but id do somthin to keep it from sliding back into the flexplate when u start the engine

Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think the TC is capable of making a clunking noise and still work.

Have you checked everything else first?
Is it just a single clunk?

Might want to take a close look at the slip youk,u-jointt ,trans mounts,motor mounts, even the exhaust.

A little detail on the clunk and when/how it happens would help.

Maybe I'm silly, but starting the motor with the TC unconnected sounds like a last ditch approach, if ever.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I have checked, starter, nuts to TC, all fluids, mounts, and exhaust leaks. What happens is on cold start up I have a continuos clunking noise that at first I thought was a rod knock, as the fluids warm up and the truck gets to running temp. the noise all but goes away. it is still there, but much much quieter. If I give the engine some rpm,s after I start it the noise fades, but is still there. I have not ruled out a rod knock, but I've heard rod knocks before and this just does not have that sound, plus I feel that if it is a rod knock it would never fade away when the engine gets up to running temp. If it is a TC I would hate for it to come apart and waste the trans. That is why I am trying to rule parts out.
Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Not saying that your hunch is wrong, just didn't see that you had checked other stuff.

A tick or knock on cold startup can also be from your oil filter bleeding down. If the oil in the motor all runs back to the pan then it is like starting a dry engine.

You aren't running a Fram filter by any chance are you?

Good luck finding the fault, I'm out of guesses for now.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 PM
I should have explained what was happening. Tell me about filter bleed down,
that is a new one for me. I did use a fram filter, but on my last oil change I used a Puralator. Am I not useing the right filter? If not, what filter should I be useing? I have thought about trying a quart of Lucas oil to maybe rule out a rod knock. I appreciate the input.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
ford loves motorcraft i had used fram alot till one day i changed the oil n started getting a nock then i posted on here n a guy told me to go back to a stock filter sure enough nock went away

Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Purolator makes Motorcraft filters, so you are good there.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Did it take a while for the knock to go away?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Replaced filter, knock still there.

After checking everything that was suggested to me here, I finally felt it was indeed the TC. Pulled the tranny, replaced the TC, visually checked the flexplate for crack's, replaced rear main seal, put everything back together. Knocking still there. I went and bought a stethascope and put it on the rear crank shaft bearing, could here the clunk not loud, but there. Thought it could be crank end play, checked the front crank bearing no clunk. Put the stethascope on the outside of the tranny bell housing and could here the knock load and clear. Should I have replaced the flexplate? Is there a dye or something I can spary around the TC nuts to expose any hairline cracks? Any thoughts? I torqued and re-torqued flexplate bolts and TC nuts just to make sure everything was tight. I am confident it is not a rod. The only weird thing is the noise fades as the truck warms up.
Thanks

Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
The TC will make a noise. Mine does it off and on sometimes. Also mine sounds like it wants to come threw the floor board. There could be something inside the trans that is causeing it do it do when it get warm. I am not real sure on the dye or anything.. Least u are not like me and mine hangs up in 1st and sometimes skips 2nd and goes to 3rd then od.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
The only flex plate I've had an issue with was where it bolts to the crank shaft IIRC. Might have to yank it apart again, aw crap, dang it, shucks......I'll let you take it from there.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Actually shifts better with the new torque converter. I also put the stehascope near the tranny pump no knock. But when I put it on the housing in line with the flex plate thats when it was very distinct. jgger, was your flex plate cracked? Did it create a knock or clunking sound? It won't be the first time I have ever had to back up and do something twice, so I'm trying to remain calm.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 PM
It was louder than a lifter tick, but less than a full blown rod knock. I'm not very good at describing sounds, but it was like some would call a soft rod knock (early stage of a rod going), if you know what I mean.

Yes the flex plate was cracked, but it was around where it bolts to the crank.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Torque converter noise