Pre-1997 Models

Fuel system problem in 1993 F250 4.9l

Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel system problem in 1993 F250 4.9l

Hello all,

A couple of years ago I had a problem in my 1993 F250 that went something like this:

The fuel pump on the front tank went out, stopped working. I think that the reason it stopped working is because it got some kind of crud in it. I wasn't sure at the time, but it seemed like it first stopped working when I let the truck sit an idle for a bit as I was out moving stuff around.

So I got it fixed. The guys dropped the tank and replaced both fuel pumps, IIRC. Worked fine for a couple of years.

(Did I mention? There might have been ethanol involved in the first scenario.)

I stopped running ethanol blends in my truck and in my equipment long ago. However, I came close to running out of gas a couple of weeks ago and pulled into a station that I thought sold only real gas. Started pumping, and then took a closer look. Ethanol. So I bought $20 worth and went on my way.

Yesterday, again, I was at the shop and let the truck sit and idle for a while as I was moving some stuff around in the shop. I hop in it and drive away, and everything's fine... for about 5 miles. Then... coughcoughsputtersputter.

Same problem as before. Since I don't want to go dig thru the papers and stuff let's just say it was "a costly repair".

So my question is this: Obviously I'll be headed back to the fixit shop. I think the gas tank lining or maybe even the gas tank itself is disintegrating and letting little bits of crud get into the fuel pump and mess it up. It's likely, IMO, that ethanol is a "causative agent" in this. They can fix the fuel pumps but at least last time they didn't fix the (I believe) problem with the gas tank.

So, before I head off to some of the sponsored links here and at certain other e-commerce sites...

CAN I JUST GET AN AFTERMARKET, REPLACEMENT GAS TANK AND A COUPLE OF FUEL PUMPS AND DO IT MY OWN SELF?

I have decent mechanical ability and enough hand tools and floor jacks etc to give it a try if I can. I've never dropped a gas tank or replaced an electric fuel pump. Just in case it matters, I don't care if it means I only get to have one gas tank or whatever so long as it meets whatever standard that says I won't catch on fire driving down the street or whatever. I just want to get another year out of my truck pulling my trailer around town.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its farly simple to do urself the only special tool ull need is a fuel line disconect tool a few dollars in a parts store.

just depressurize the fuel rail by taking out the fuel pump relay after u start the truck n let it use up the gas i still put a rag over the line when i take it off just incase

some people will say to take off the bed but u can do it with the bed on just more laying on ur back

if i was u id buy the plastic tanks so ull never have to replace them again

i know just the pump is like $50 in jersey but thats just for the pump not the sending unit

Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click this, read the captions, and follow the links in the captions:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel system problem in 1993 F250 4.9l